Iseley Bros. 3x3 SACD $9.99 at Tower

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricK, Jan 27, 2002.

1. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know if your interested...I found the SACD multichannel/stereo Iseley Bros. 3x3 featuring That Lady for $9.99!!! Holy Cow!!

I listened to it...so far preliminary thoughts, it sounds pretty good. the Multichannel is mostly mains, and some surrounds, center fill.

Also, Tower had the Celine Dion Decade of Song SACD for regular price. This sounded excellent!

Eric.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, you caught a break. The SACD you bought was mismarked. I bought The Isley Brothers SACD at a Tower Records in Cherry Hill, NJ, last weekend for the correct price of $21.99. Tower sells all Sony multi-channel SACDs for $21.99. Sony stereo SACDs are $20.99.

I wasn't as lucky as you a couple weeks ago. I ventured into the Tower Records in King of Prussia, PA, and saw two copies of the Dave Brubeck Time Out multi-channel SACD marked $12.99. I figured they should have been marked $21.99, but hoped that this title was simply cheaper than the others. So, I took a copy to the register, and when the cashier scanned the disc, he said it was supposed to be marked $21.99. He said $12.99 was the price of the CD, which makes sense. He would not give me the SACD for $12.99. When I told the cashier that a second SACD was marked $12.99, he told an employee to change the price on both copies. In any event, I didn't buy the SACD for $21.99. I thought Tower should have honored the price marked.

By the way, I am very impressed with the sonics and the music on The Isley Brothers SACD.

3. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Great find Eric! Was that the Huntington Tower and did you see multiple copies?

I caught a break recently at BB and picked up Weather Report (Heavy Weather-SACD) for $11.99. Not sure if it was incorrectly marked as it was the only one.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, for some reason, Best Buy stores are selling the Weather Report SACD for $11.99. I picked up a copy at a Best Buy in Delaware for that price. It was marked $11.99 and rang up $11.99. I've seen it at other Best Buy stores for $11.99 too. I don't get it. Also, Best Buy is selling the Top Gun SACD for $12.99.

5. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Keith :

funny thing is that they had several copies for $9.99 and the computer register rang it up for $9.99. So maybe it was a main office foul up! I also had a situation with mismarked Tower prices. I had found a copy of Magnolia...several in fact, that were originally 24.99 but marked 14.99 Tower bastards, wouldn't honor the mis mark. So normally - I don't like to give Tower my business. But with them carrying a decent SACD selection...oh well...I am very happy with how the Isely Bros sounds...especially for a recording from the early seventies. And if you read on the back, they remastered it from the original QUAD mix!! Cool stuff!!

How is the Weather Report SACD? What type of genre is it?

JT :

I found the Iseley Bros at Tower in Carle Place, off Old Country Rd. by the Roosevelt Field Mall. Its next to The WIZ. They had 2 copies left. I hope you get your hands on one!

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, that's very interesting. My copy of the Isley Brothers SACD was marked $21.99 and rang up for $21.99. Strange.

Weather Report is a jazz group, and Heavy Weather was released in the '70s. They are a good group, but not my favorite. Still, the Heavy Weather SACD is definitely worth having for $11.99. If you do look for it at a Best Buy, check the Weather Report CDs in the jazz section because I have seen the SACD there in a few Best Buy stores.

By the way, if you looking for another great deal on an SACD, look for The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith SACD at Best Buy. I bought it at the Best Buy in King of Prussia, PA, for $14.99. It's on the Telarc label and is a hybrid disc with both stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks. The SACD was marked $14.99 and rang up for that price. I know someone else on Audio Asylum that found this disc for $14.99 at a Best Buy, so you may be able to get it at that price too. Look for the SACD under "Jerry Goldsmith" in the classical section. What's funny is that the Best Buy in King of Prussia had the standard Telarc CD version for $14.99 too.

7. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Keith :

Cool! Thanks for the heads up on the Goldsmith SACD. I had been wondering if Best Buy was mixing in some SACD with the regular cd's. Lately I had just been looking in their seperate "Multichannel Music" section...which always seems to be hidden in the back, where no one else can spot it. LOL.

By the way how far are you from King of Prussia?

Eric.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    EricK,

Also noticed some low prices at Best Buy. I saw a few here today in Atlanta for around $16.99, not great but the lowest I've seen in my area.

Lee

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, no problem. Glad to help. The vast majority of SACDs at Best Buy stores in my area are found in the multi-channel music section at the back of the store. However, I do find a few SACDs here and there in with the CDs. Specifically, I have seen a few jazz SACDs in the CD section and a few classical SACDs in with the CDs too. The only rock/pop SACD I've seen mixed in with the CDs is Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells.

I am about an hour from King of Prussia.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am listening to The Isley Brothers 3 + 3 SACD on my '777ES, and let me tell you, this disc thoroughly kicks a$$. I liked it when I listened to it on my second system a few times, but the quality of this disc really hit me tonight. If you don't have this disc, you must get it! It is truly outstanding! There is not a bad track on this disc, and the sound is phenomenal.

3 + 3 is one of the few SACDs that I don't have on CD, but after awhile, I can just tell the sound of an SACD without comparing the two formats. Obviously, what I am saying here is not scientific, but this disc sounds so incredibly clear that I can't imagine the CD sounding this good. I will have to pick up the CD just to see. Besides, I can always listen to the CD in the car and office.

11. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Keith :

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe one weekend day we could meet up at King of Prussia Best Buy. I usually am in Yardley, PA every 2 weeks to stay with my future father in law. He says he is about 20 mins from KoP.

Eric.

12. Dave Isham

Dave Isham Extra

A few weeks ago I picked up the Isley Bros. 3 + 3 and O'Jays Ship Ahoy for $9.99 each at the Lincoln Center Tower(66 + B'way, NYC). A great find. These are exceptional discs. Highly recommended.

Have the Huntington and Roosevelt field locations beefed up their SACD selection yet? Lincoln center has invested considerably more floor space for additional stock and a demo area.

I'm moving to Huntington in the next few months and wonder if I'll have to schlepp back to NYC for SACD's. (It's easy now that I live there...)

Thanks

13. John Tillman

I stopped at the Huntington Tower at lunchtime today looking for this SACD or Journey's greatest hits. While they did have a dedicated (combined) section for DVD-A & SACD, these titles weren't there. Additionaly, prices were 4-6 dollars more than BB for most of the titles on the display.

Has there been any comments/reviews on the Earth, Wind & Fire SACD?

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric,
    Sure, we could meet at the King of Prussia Best Buy at some point. Let's keep in touch about it. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Dave,
    So you too found good deals on SACDs at Tower. Wow, I got gypped. I paid $21.99 each for the Isley Brothers and O'Jays SACDs at the Tower in Cherry Hill, NJ. [​IMG]
    John,
    I don't recall reading anything about the Earth, Wind & Fire SACD on this site, but it has gotten good reviews on the Hi-Rez Highway board on www.audioasylum.com . Do a search over there. I haven't bought the SACD yet, but I did pick up the remastered CD at Circuit City for only $8.99 a couple of months ago just to see if would like the music. It's a good album.

15. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Dave :
    Unfortunately the Huntington and Roosevelt Field Tower locations have a very small sectiondevoted to both SACD and DVD-a. You may have to go into NYCity once in a while...I am planning on going to the Lincoln Center Tower very soon to check it out.
    Keith :
    That sounds like a plan. Let me know when your schedule works, and we'll plan something out. I usually have Sat and Sun free, so weekends are no problem for me. Also, I just bought a new home in Lawrenceville NJ, 20 mins from my father in law, so I'm sure we can work out some kind of HTF meets in the general vicinities that we'll be in! Coincidentally, the new home won't be ready until Oct, but I'll be down that way quite a bit, as you can imagine.
    Off topic here, but how is your CD World near you? The one in Lawrenceville, NJ kinda stunk, very very small SACD/dvd-a selection and I had to join the club to get the "CD World" price on Destiny's Child "Survivor" [​IMG] Arrrggghh. The price we pay for SACD/dvd-a!
    Finally, do you have Survivor? If so, how do you like it? I plan on listening to it Thurs.
    Eric.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, it's a small world. King of Prussia is an hour from me here in Delaware, but my parents live in suburban Philly, so I know the area fairly well. Also, prior to moving to Delaware last April, I lived in Hillsborough, New Jersey, so I am familiar with the Lawrenceville area. In fact, my girlfriend still lives outside of Trenton, so I get up to that area fairly regularly.

Regarding CD World, are you referring to the store on Route 1 next to Tweeter? It's essentially across Route 1 from Quaker Bridge Mall. Technically, the CD World is in West Windsor. In any event, I love that area for music/audio/HT shopping. You've got Best Buy, Circuit City, The Wiz, Tweeter, Borders, and CD World all within about a mile of one another. Very cool.

We should definitely work out a meet somewhere. I'll have to check my calendar and get back to you. Sorry if that sounds pretentious. That's certainly not my intention.

Oh, I don't have the Destiny's Child SACD.

17. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Keith :
    Sounds awesome....incidentally, my house is being built off Lawrence Station Rd, near the Fire Training station. So I am not very far from all that HT shopping!! [​IMG]
    The CD world you mention was exactly the CD World I was at! Next to Tweeter and you're right about the shopping for HT. Its so awesome!
    As for the meeting, ust let me know...you don't sound pretentious at all. In fact as for me, my schedule will depend on when I get down there, as I won't be able to move in to my new place until at least Oct at the earliest.
    Eric.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, O.K. I'll be in touch.

19. John Tillman

Had some free time last night so I decided to drive over to the Carle Place Tower store. Actually, I picked up the 'Eat a Peach' remaster for $11.99 at Huntington Tower in the afternoon, and was looking for an excuse to go for a drive and spin it in the car.
    I lucked out and grabbed the last Isley Bros 3+3 for $9.99. Thanks Eric, I owe you one[​IMG]. The DVD-A/SACD section is similar to the Huntington selection, maybe a little bigger.
    Prices between the two stores can vary. For instance, I was looking at some Ken Burns Jazz series CD's for $7.99 in Huntington, found them in Carle Place for $12.99.
    Leaving Carle Place on Old Country Road, I passed a Virgin Megastore where Roosevelt Raceway used to be. Does Virgin carry DVD-A/SACD selections? If so, how is their selections/display?

20. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    JT :
    I've been in that Virgin a few times, and quite honestly I have never seen a section for SACD/DVD-a. I also have a funny feeling that if you asked the sales clerks if they had SACD/DVD-a they'd probably scratch their heads and direct you to the dvd-video stuff. [​IMG] LOL. I'm glad you were able to get down to Tower in Carle Place to get that Iseley 3x3...s steal for 10 bucks!! [​IMG]
    If you find a section in Virgin let me know how it is!
    Eric.