iScanPro or DVDOiScan+V2 - how much better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dale Rabeneck, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Dale Rabeneck

Dale Rabeneck Auditioning

I am trying to evaluate if there is significant value between the two models - for a NTSC / North American customer. My perception is that there is a $150 difference in price but while looking at the spec sheets I'm not sure where I find the difference.
    My objective is to use this with my Pioneer LD / DVD with S-VIDEO outs connected into my TW65H80.
    I've considered waiting for the Denon 2800 but I loose the value of better LD pictures.
    What do you think? Does the Pro offer $150 More than V2?
    ------------------
    ----------------
    Dale Rabeneck
    [email protected]

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The iScan Pro offers composite, component, and S-Video inputs. My understanding is that the v2 does not offer component.
    Also, I don't think you can use the iScan Pro with the TW65H80. That's the analog model from 1998/1999, yes? Does it handle Progressive Scan DVD players? If so, you can use a line doubler. But analog sets don't need/can't use external line doublers. I have an old TW40H80, and can not use a line doubler.
    - Steve

3. Rod Rebello

Rod Rebello Auditioning

You can use the Iscan with a TW65H80 - works just fine with mine. The TW65H80 is a digital ready set - also have it connected to my Unitymotion HD receiver.
    You are right about the differences between the Pro and V2. There are also other features the Pro has, but not too sigificant for a TW65H80. I have the V2 and am very happy with it, although I probably would go with the Pro now to get the component input for DVD.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Thanks for the clarification, Rod!
    I believe the other differences are PAL and SECAM support. (I've even gotten PAL to work, sort of. The picture is distorted at the bottom, but the rest of the picture is gorgeous.)
    - Steve

5. Dale Rabeneck

Dale Rabeneck Auditioning

Thanks for the clarification. I was aware of the support for PAL. That didn't interest me much. I suspect that component support may be worth the additional price.
    Rod, a configuration question. Was there much set configuration that you needed to perform? I have not seen a good line doubler in action. I'm interested to see for myself what the difference is.
    Also, how do you switch between your Unity HD and the DVDO?
    Dale.
    ------------------
    ----------------
    Dale Rabeneck
    [email protected]

6. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Any version of DVDo iScan is fundamentally incompatible with HDTV, so this thread should be too. (Move out of HDTV Area.)
    -Abdul

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Well, it works on my HDTV, so the thread stays here.
    - Steve

8. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

How is any DVDO fundamentally incompatible with an HD ready TV? I thought you needed a TV with 31.5 kHz to use an iScan.
    Back to the original post-Doesn't the Pro use a different de-interlacing chip than the V2? I thought I might have heard that somewhere but I am not sure.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Pics My Equipment List My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

9. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

A DVDO iScan Pro is not incompatible with an HDTV; it is incompatible with HDTV. Stuff 1080i into your iScan Pro, and you're not going to get anything out. This thread belongs in Hardware or TV's and Projectors. The HDTV forum should be for the discussion of all things 1080i. Would a progressive DVD player thread belong on the HDTV group?
    The Pro gives you slightly better processing and a better quality output signal compared to the v2. I would go for the Pro (which I did), but you might want to wait a couple of months for the prices to drop. Or, you could get a used v2 now and a used Pro later for less than the price of a new Pro now. I use the Pro for VCR/OTA (composite), Tivo/DirecTV (S-video), and my PS2 / interlaced DVD player (component). I cannot use it for HDTV, not even to passively video switch for HDTV.
    -Abdul

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill