Iscan Plus V2 Problem w/ CAV Laserdiscs

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Wielgosz, Feb 6, 2004.

1. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

Hope some fellow Iscan V2 users can help out.

I've noticed an odd artifact on CAV LDs since hooking up my Iscan V2 yesterday. At times there is either a 'tearing' effect, or a high amount of shimmer in areas of fine detail and/or borders between extremely light and dark images. I have yet to see this artifact at all on CLV LDs. I am using the composite output from a Pioneer CLD-704, with V-DNR turned below the standard settings (3 bars for Y, 3 for C).

The unit behaves incredibly well with all other sources, and I'm wracking my brain as to why it would trip up on CAV LDs, especially since they should provide a more stable video signal, no?

Thanks in advance,

John W.

2. Dale Adams

Dale Adams Extra

John,

If the iScan is behaving well otherwise, particularly with CLV discs, then perhaps the problem is with your laserdisc player and not the iScan. The iScan has no way of 'knowing' whether a particular disc is CLV or CAV, but your player certainly does. It's probably the only element in your signal chain which does something different depending on the disc type, so that's where I'd look first.

Do you have any way to test the output of the 704 without the iScan?

- Dale Adams

3. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

Until I received the Iscan unit, my 704 was connected directly into my 42H81 via Composite video. There were no such artifacts from the set's internal line doubler.