What's new

International ISADORA AND 3 BRANDO 60’S FILMS ON BLU AND ALL REGION. (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Assuming since you purchased them in Paris that they are French releases, the inevitable question is ..... are there forced French subtitles or are they optional?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Assuming since you purchased them in Paris that they are French releases, the inevitable question is ..... are there forced French subtitles or are they optional?

Good question, as French Blu-rays are notorious for omitting English subtitles.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
My copy of A Countess from Hong Kong arrived the other day. I'd never seen the film before... sort of a disappointment, but I agree, it looks beautiful (and so do Sophia and Tippi)! I love Vanessa Redgrave, so I'll pick up Isadora eventually.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I just purchased on Blu Ray ISADORA, COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG, THE APPALOOSA , THE NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY in Paris. A titles play on my Region A Blu Ray player.
All films look excellent on Blu.

Which version of Isadora is this new bluray? Is it the original almost 3 hr cut?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
ISADORA is 140 minutes. I remember seeing a 150 minute cut of it years ago.
I saw the original 168 minute cut when it was first released in LA.
I did not notice any glaring omissions in the 140 minute version.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
ISADORA is 140 minutes. I remember seeing a 150 minute cut of it years ago.
I saw the original 168 minute cut when it was first released in LA.
I did not notice any glaring omissions in the 140 minute version.

I also saw the original long cut...

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I just purchased on Blu Ray ISADORA, COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG, THE APPALOOSA , THE NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY in Paris. A titles play on my Region A Blu Ray player.
All films look excellent on Blu.
I am interested in a couple of the 4 you mention from France.......so I need to understand correctly if all 4 have English Sub- titles ????... I understood that none of them had English sub-titles......I need eng. s-titles...thanks...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I am interested in a couple of the 4 you mention from France.......so I need to understand correctly if all 4 have English Sub- titles ????... I understood that none of them had English sub-titles......I need eng. s-titles...thanks...
Correction...There are French removable subtitles.

Steven Ward

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Night of the Following Day...what an interesting and unsettling film.
Some people have never seen this rare item in it's original theatrical version, which had such a bad opening in San Francisco and it left the entire scene at that point, after one week! (the release of this title years ago, uncut, on DVD, was long overdue THEN). My point being made here is that Universal actually RE-MADE THEIR OWN TELEVISION VERSION WITH RE-SHOT SCENES with American actors INTERCUT with the original film, and changed the entire story as to be acceptable for TV--and what remained for the uninformed audience was the most OBSCENE butchery of an original product as this person has ever witnessed. Any prints left of this version were hopefully long ago placed in a trash bin where it belonged. ALL preservation people that this was again indeed so horrible of a practice at the time I'm sure other films were doneby people who had NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER anywhere NEAR a movie period. In conclusion, this is why this particular title-- an 'art -house' entry for sure--has never -until lately--received ANY kind of fair review.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The long available English BD release of Isadora is quite lovely as well. It's 140 minutes long, on OEG Classics (which has official 20th Century Fox and Universal logos on the box) and is available over at Amazon UK. Some great extras also included.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Some people have never seen this rare item in it's original theatrical version, which had such a bad opening in San Francisco and it left the entire scene at that point, after one week! (the release of this title years ago, uncut, on DVD, was long overdue THEN). My point being made here is that Universal actually RE-MADE THEIR OWN TELEVISION VERSION WITH RE-SHOT SCENES with American actors INTERCUT with the original film, and changed the entire story as to be acceptable for TV--and what remained for the uninformed audience was the most OBSCENE butchery of an original product as this person has ever witnessed. Any prints left of this version were hopefully long ago placed in a trash bin where it belonged. ALL preservation people that this was again indeed so horrible of a practice at the time I'm sure other films were doneby people who had NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER anywhere NEAR a movie period. In conclusion, this is why this particular title-- an 'art -house' entry for sure--has never -until lately--received ANY kind of fair review.

I wish they'd include the TV version - it's hilarious. Universal did that for several films - either Secret Ceremony or Boom had tons of additional newly shot scenes to explain what was going on. It would be interesting to see a complete list of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks