Isabel aimed straight at us (according to the computer model)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Stephen Orr, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I live in the VA Beach/Hampton Roads area, and we are LONG overdue for a major hit (1933). Current models show Isabel coming up our left side (slightly) and clobbering us with the Northeast quadrant. Possible winds of 120 miles per or more.

Keep us in your thoughts for the next four or five days. We're expecting the hit sometime Thursday.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

stephen - keep us in the loop and make sure you let us know you're okay!

are you going to stay in the area?

good luck!

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It'll probably be quite a wallop regardless, but I think it'll have weakened to Cat 2 before it makes landfall. It appears to have already started its death spiral. Of course, it still has to cross the Gulf Stream. Sometimes that can re-energize a dying storm.

4. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

All accounts suggest otherwise. What I am seeing is the possibility of the storm reaching shore with at least cat3, possibly still a cat4 because of the energy it will gather when it gets close. I hope not though, good luck over there Stephen.

5. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Hopefully VA Beach won't get a direct hit. I have a sister in Norfolk who is planning to stay at my house for a couple of days if things look really bad. I'm sure the traffic on I-64 will be horrendous!

6. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I have family in Ocean City, MD (where I grew up). If this thing tracks up the Chesapeake Bay, it's a nightmare scenario for the Eastern Shore, as the higher winds and rain are usually on the eastern side of the eyewall.

I'm hoping the thing falls apart or veers away to sea beforehand, but it's looking less and less likely that it will miss landfall, and, as said above, it's looking very much like a minimum Category 3 'cane at landfall, too [​IMG]

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I work for an Energy company in Baltimore, so we have some internal forecasters. Our models show it coming right up the bay. Don't know what I'm going to do about my boat which is in a marina in Annapolis. Nowhere is safe from the storm surge.

Stephen - I'd get the heck out of Dodge as soon as you can. As Stephen said, I-64 will be madness... Good Luck.

8. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Looks like we may get lucky Topher. The tracks keep moving farther east all the time, but it seems like it will track too close to my hometown of Fredericksburg. Hopefully this will be the only hurricane to strike the coast this year.

Chris

9. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

I'm hoping it doesn't hit at all [​IMG] I live in New Jersey next to the raritan river. When hurricane floyd came in 1999(hit virginia first i think), the river flooded and my street was 6 feet in water. That was only four years ago, I can't believe its happening again [​IMG]

10. Dana Fillhart

I remember Floyd very well; I was in NJ at the time, but not where I currently live. Where I live now, I'm only 6 miles or so away from the worst-hit area of Jersey -- Bound Brook. They interviewed a guy today from the town, said they're still recovering from it.

So yeah, I'm REALLY hoping for a out-to-sea-but-if-it-HAS-to-hit-land-do-it-anywhere-but-Jersey scenario. The slightly good news is that my apartment is on (supposedly) higher ground compared to the surrounding area; the bad news is I'm stuck in the Boston area until Thursday evening -- right in the middle of landfall [​IMG] If it appears to be tracking to Jersey by Wednesday morning, I'm going home a day early to evacuate some of my belongings!

11. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Floyd even managed to hit Philadelphia and the surrounding area. Schools for the first time in something like 20 some years were canceled for the reason of a hurricane. No one laughed at my gortex sombrero anymore after that day.

12. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

13. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

My wife and I went to the library tonight to look at the flood zones for our area. We are fortunately safe from flood/storm surge through a Cat 4 hurricane. We live in a cinder block/brick construction line of townhouses (we're "glued" to other houses, according to my son[​IMG] ), so we're planning to just board things up, and eat over a sterno stove for a couple of days or more, as need be. Thank goodness for our portable DVD player! They are saying 100 mph winds now for us, but that could change a million times between now and Thursday afternoon, which is the latest prediction.

I remember having to drive around the town of Franklin, VA, just after Floyd hit. Ironically, it was this exact week back in 1999, and Franklin was completely underwater.

14. Dana Fillhart

15. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

My Grandparents live in New Bern, NC (NC coast). Hope they do fine, but I'm sure they will, this isn't the first time they have been through this. It's been a while since I get to go clean up hurricane damage. I'm so excited for the possibility to get to go do it this weekend. It only takes all weekend to clean up one yard, what great exercise!

Hope the canals do not flood in that neighborhood again. It's hard on the elderly to get away from that.

16. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

17. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

[​IMG]

Wow. Good luck, everyone.

18. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

I live in manville, which is the next town over from bound brook. We got bad just as hard if not worse than bound brook. There is a house down the street from me that is just getting finished rebuilding after the flood. I can't imagine how bad they must feel.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Well, it's already down to Cat 2. By the time it landfalls, it may barely be a hurricane at all unless it undergoes some rapid re-intensification.

Looks like basically a big, gusty rain-maker at this point. Which is still not good news for saturated areas of the mid-Atlantic states, but at least the wind damage should be minimal.

20. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

You have nothing to worry about, just get some silica packets and put them around your house, you'll be safe.

[​IMG]

Seriously though, good luck.[​IMG]