Is your DSL/Cable connection is fast as you pay for??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve Ridges, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I need help! I work from home and have LARGE data requirement. Sometimes I have to download single files in the 600meg to 1gig range. Most times it's source code wich is thousands of files totalling around 500 meg.

I signed up with CableOne on the 5 Meg service. For the first 2 weeks, I couldn't get anything over 1 meg. Their techs tried everything and even sent a guy to the house. They finally decided a problem in AZ was causeing trouble and a couple of days later, things got better. I got 5 meg a couple of times but mostly it was in the 2-3 meg range with lots of periods under 1 meg. Each time I call, they claim network problems.

I decide to switch to DSL. Qwest has a deal for 7 meg service ath $30/month. They come set it up and I run some test. 3.5 meg. I called support and we messed with it a while. I always seem to get half of what I'm provised at. If they lower me to 5, I get around 2.5. At 3, I get around 1.5. Today they sent a tech to the house. She plugs in her test equipment and gets 7 meg. Then I tell her to get her laptop and she experiences the same thing as me...about half.

Let me say at this point that I have several computers with clean OS. I've tried bypassing my Netgear Firewall. I've been to speedguide.net and done all the optimizations. I've tested the speed on many different sites at different times of the day.

With her modem and laptop, she only gets half as well. She calls level 2 and 3 support and they're trying to convince me that no single machine gets all 7 meg. It's for bandwidth headroom with lots of machines. To test this, I downloaded a 50meg file from qwest's site. With 1 machine, I get around 450k/sec. When I do the same thing on 3 machines, each one is between 175-200k/sec. Then then claimed that the sites sending the data were the bottleneck but I pointed out that if Speakeasy.net can send the data out @ 3.5 when I'm provisioned at 7 meg, they are still sending it out at the same speed when I'm provisoned at 3 meg but I'm only getting 1.5. They clamed that during the transfer, the speeds fluktuate above and below 3 meg for example and since the provisioning cuts the speed at 3, I only see the dips.

Is any of this true? I can't believe that I can only get 1/2 of what I'm paying for. I still think there is a problem. When I lived in Seatle, I had 7 meg cable service and routinly got in the high 6's and sometimes over 7. What do you think?

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I use verizon fios, the package that is supposed to provide up to 5 Mbps connection speed. I get a download speed of 5.1 Mbps.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Well there's a bunch of different things that can go on.

Distance from the hub is everything, for DSL more than Cable, but still cable. The further away you live from the main hub of your area, the slower your connection will be due to signal loss.

Number of people on the same connection as you. With cable it'll be your neighbors since cable works like the network in your home. With DSL everyone plugs into the same hub with a dedicated line. If lots of people are using the net downloading lots and lots stuff, you haven't a hope of getting the bandwidth you pay for, that's why there's a big fuss over file sharing. . . well that and ISPs start taking major losses on the bandwidth they buy.

Quality of the equipment used can mean a lot too, if your provider is running older equipment there will be a lot of slowdowns.

There's not a lot your really going to be able to do with a consumer line, all ISPs oversell their bandwidth because no one would buy intenet from them if they didn't. Garunteed bandwidth is all with the business lines.

4. Steve Ridges

Thanks for the replys. The thing thats odd is that with their test machine, they get 7 meg. The modem is an actiontech and in the wan status page, shows 7186k down / 864k up. They claim my lines are great with 0 errors. They never brought up my distance from the switch. I assumed they would play this as their ace card. The strange thing is when the lower my service to 5 or 3, my speed drops as well. This to me is a red flag but they seem to be playing it down.

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I have SBC Yahoo! and I'm rated from 1.5Mbps to 3Mbps, and I average around 2.5Mbps (300K/s). I've never had any problems, but I live next door to the local switching station.

If I had a guaranteed speed of a certain amount and wasn't getting it, I'd complain loudly and often until they rectified the problem or gave me a price break. Luckily I can count the number of times I've had to call customer service on one hand. Most of them when I lived at my old place and once since I've lived in the city (Tulsa) because of a problem moving my service.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I didn't know that any companies offered guaranteed speeds for residential accounts. I know they advertise as "up to 3Mbps" or whatever, but if you read the info, most offer no guarantees. If you want guaranteed speeds you'll need a business account, but you will likely have to pay significantly more for it.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

DSL should be as fast as it is rated to be at least up to your ISP. The problem is most likely when you get stuff that isn't actually AT your ISP but further out.

No ISP will have "the number of customer lines" x "the amount of customer bandwidth", obviously. Some don't have enough to saturate the customers line.

DSL is much better than cable because the sharing of bandwidth we all do starts at the ISP there, not in the cable network at your premises.

Now, I'm not even in the US so not sure how relevant it is, but where I live I can get ADSL2+ and my ISP claims I have 15.8 mbit down - and I've seen steady 1.5MB/sec downloads very occasionally when doing bittorrent downloads where I have dozens of other people on the torrent pumping data my way.

However, I hardly ever see 1.5MB/sec anyway because there are tons of bottlenecks on the net a bit further from me - but my speed to the ISP is definitely exactly what they claim.

If your place of work had a direct line to (ie were a customer of) your ISP, and their line was rated at 7 mbits or over, and it wasn't being used by others so there were 7 mbit free on it... then, you'd almost assuredly see a 7 mbit transfer.

If your place of work is on another ISP somewhere else however all bets are off.

8. John Nguyen

John Nguyen Extra

I get up to 800 kbps with comcast cable.

9. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I just ran a test from the Broadband Reports web page and I got 1240 kilobits per second download and 311 kilobits per second upload. Works for me! [​IMG]

10. John Nguyen

John Nguyen Extra

hey ray. how much are you paying for your service? that is blazing speeds man!

11. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Huh?? There is a huge difference between KBps and kbps... KBps (K/s) is kilobytes per second and kbps is kilobits per second. You have to divide the latter by roughly 8 to get the former. Ray's speed is somewhere in the respectable neighborhood of 125-150K/s.

12. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I just did another test from Broadband Reports and I got 1239 kilobits per second download speed and 313 kilobits per second upload speed.

It should be noted that most sites that take advantage of broadband usually use about 300 to 600 kilobits per second download speeds for streaming video, mostly because of consideration for slower ADSL users.

13. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

According to the cable modem stats I'm connected at 1536/384. But according to DSL Reports speed tests I'm at 81% effeciency. For 14.99/month, I'm a happy camper...

14. Steve Ridges

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I went to cableone to disconnect my service, they convinced me to give them a little longer as they were putting in some new equipment in my area. That night, I got 500k. The next morning, I was at 5.29 meg [​IMG]. It's been that way for the last few days. Needless to say, I'm happy. I've called Qwest and requested a disconnect.

15. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I'm getting DSL from SBC. They advertise speed "up to" 1.5 MB, but I only get half of that (768 kbps). I wish it were faster, but there's nothing I could do about it.

16. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Mitch,

Check out this site and this site on how to tweak your dsl connection...

Rommel