What's new

Is Yamaha any good? (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to the this forum and only have a couple years of personal home theater experience. I was just wondering why Yamaha is hardly ever mentioned as a contender when someone asks for a recommendation? I own a Yamaha 5560 and it seems to do a great job for me. Did I make a bad choice? Could I get more bang for my buck? Would it have been a better idea to get the 5490 or should a steer clear of Yamaha completely in the future?

My girlfriend puts very large limitations on my A/V budget so I can't go for too much more... Thanks for any advice!

Scott in Spokane

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,
First, I've got to give you a hard time for not reading down too far on this page. There is a post on the "musicality" of Yamaha. There are plenty of debates that have, and will continue, to go on, comparing Yamaha to Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, HK, etc. Stay tuned, I'm sure you will get things going again.

As far as making a good decision? Couldn't tell you. Some people will say no, others yes. I happen to have a RX-V3000 that I very happy with for HT, music I'm not sure yet. I have to get some real speakers first! Anyway, the bottom line is how do you like it? Did you listen to any other brands (using the same speakers) for comparison?

If there is one thing I can definitely say for Yamaha, it's that they are are built very well. Look at all the various posts here and on other forums about HK cutting out, or Denons overheating, or misc. quality issues with certain Marantz. You will rarely see those issues with Yamaha.

My two cents is that you have a nice piece of equipment, so enjoy it. Don't let the lack of posts praising Yamaha make you think you made the wrong decision.

BTW, what percent of music/HT do you listen to? What kind of speakers are you using?
R

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Scott,

No offense, but the search function works quite well on this forum.

Yamaha make very nice gear, indeed. It comes down to your wallet and your ears.
As an owner of a Yamaha, I can emphatically state that it will deliver about the cleanest, the most clarified watts per dollar you can audition for the $. Taste and preference, feel and sense, are all factors which follow you into the shop when you audition. You must have liked the sound.

Enjoy your purchase, it's fine.

BOK

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
The search function does work quite well!!! Sorry about that. I just read the first 20 or so messages I came across. Thanks for giving me some confidence in my purchase though.
As for what I have for speakers--I went with the SCS150SI JBL speaker package. I doubt you guys know each model number of every speaker currently made but I really liked how they sound and still do. Each satellite has dual 3" drivers and 1/2" dome titanium tweeters and the sub is a powered 10". I listen to about 90% home theater sound and only 10% music.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks