Is XP worth upgrading.....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveJJ, Mar 12, 2002.

1. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

What are the PROS & CONS about upgrading to Microsoft XP OS system. Is this OS system really faster. I have a AMD CPU running at 500Mhz. Will I see any difference. I am using Microsoft ME now with no problems!
    DaveJJ[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Have Fun Guys! My HT[

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

You're using ME with no problems? That's a miracle in itself; I suggest you stick with it, I'm sure some sort of Guiness World Record is being broken.

XP +

Short Boot Time

Pretty Interface

Better User Account Switching

XP -

Uses more resources than Win2000

Pretty Interface

Some incompatibilities with software/hardware

3. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

I'm not really sure that Windows XP will be "faster" than Windows ME unless you have at least 256-512MB of RAM. It uses significantly more memory than the Win9x series.

The main advantages of Windows 2000 or XP are in networked environments, especially businesses with dedicated servers.

Windows XP also has newer hardware support than 95/98/Me or 2000; you may want/need it for that reason alone.

If your primary consideration is raw speed, WinXP may disappoint. But if you want better network support or newer hardware support, that may be reason to upgrade...

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

XP is MUCH more stable than Windows ME. I upgraded a couple months ago and have not seen a single blue screen of death - a near daily occurence with ME. I upgraded my RAM from 128MB to 384MB at the same time I upgraded my OS, so while XP appears to run faster than my old ME installation, I'm sure the memory upgrade is probably the main reason why.

I say upgrade! You won't regret it.

5. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts on upgrading OSs:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If WinME isn't crashing on you, and if it runs all the programs you want, etc. stick with it.

Changing OSs can be a real pain.

On the other hand, if you are having stability problems, XP might help out. Just make sure that your crashes aren't due to hardware (this can be hard), and that you've got enough RAM/disk to run XP well. You *really* want to have >128MB of RAM.

6. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

There never was, and never will be any comparison between Win9x based (including Me) and an NT based kernel. I've been using NT as my primary OS for a long time. I dual booted for games. That being said, if Me isn't angry and crashing, then you might want to leave it alone.

I have a celeron 566 running at 707mhz and 256meg ram. Don't try and run XP with under 128 meg ram. I had Win2k running with 96 meg of ram, and it ran but it wasn't very stable. I put 256 meg in, same install, nothing different, and its stable as can be. Then I upgraded to XP (figured it would stink and i'd format and install clean) and I've never had any trouble at all.

On the other hand. If you were to upgrade to Win2k, since it is less of a resource hog, and throw in some more ram, you might really notice a difference in stability and possibly speed. My father runs a celeron 300a o/c to 466 mhz (103mhz FSB) with 256 meg of ram and its more responsive than my XP machine. He also had 64 meg and it was slow and then put in 256 (256 total) and on the same install its quick and responsive now.

Ram makes a difference, so don't change OS until you get at least 256 meg total.

Jon

7. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    I have plenty of experience in building computers and matching motherboards with processors with limited amounts of problems. The same goes with using operating systems with these motherboards and processors. I have done full installs of 98, 98se, ME and XP. I have also done upgrade installs of these same operating systems. Full installs have less problems. PERIOD!!! Windows ME is an exceptional OS and is compatible with most softwares. XP on the other hand has many bugs. It also has driver conflicts with software not specifically written for it. Yes it boots up fast but it will be a while till I load it onto my computer.

Jon_R, if Windows ME works great for you, why upgrade??? Ask yourself what are you expecting out of XP that you wont get with ME??? If you havent already, go to Windows Update and upgrade the criticals and any recommended updates that you might want/like. I agree with Duncans assessment, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!"

8. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

IF it ain't broke don't fix it. That mantra works fairly well. However, it will break. They always do. I stated in my post that I haven't run, as my primary OS, a win9x based OS in a long time. There are many reasons.

Me is based on win9x. It has the same kernel. One program can, and often will, take down the entire system. This is because the programs do not run in a seperate memory space. What I suggested was that DaveJJ move away from a win9x based system and more towards NT. With his current hardware Win2k would work best for him.

WinMe was an interim, thrown together product to keep people interested in MS. The MS roadmap clearly showed a migration to NT based OS for the home use yet out of nowhere this "new" OS came out. Now we can all see that MS wants to migrate to a .NET server environment w/ XP Home as the primary home OS.

If WinME works great then why upgrade? I suppose it is personal preference. Look at how many upgrades on this forum are truly not needed. Better speaker cable is just one instance. Sure, cheap wire will get you through, and it will work, but there are better things out there. WinME is just like that, it may work but there are better things.

I've worked tech support for 5 years, and currently I'm the database admin at a company that runs mostly win98. The MAJORITY of the problems are from Win98's lack of scaling, you know, use it long enough and it needs a reinstall. In my experience NT based OS are not like that.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

10. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Use the money that you would spend on a copy of WinXP and upgrade your RAM/Mobo/CPU. After that then get WinXP.

11. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Since XP and 2000 are the same underneath, no way would I get XP due to the extra registration crap. 2000 ROCKS. But, as has been said, if ME is working well, then why bother. I was using 98 and it would crash here and there but not on a regular basis, so not too big a deal, but now 2000 crashes basically never. If Me works, though, keep it.

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I've had XP since December 2001 and it still has not crashed. It's my home machine so it's basically an e-mail/internet machine but I still think that's impressive. For the record I have 384mb or RAM and a 450mz P2.

-Andre F