is 'world of warcraft' online only?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ted Lee, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

my twins (9 years old) love warcraft 3. they've pretty much mastered the game to the point where it's not a challenge for them anymore.

they would like to play wow, but i'm concerned about them going online.

my question is can wow be played as a "standalone" game, or do they have to play in an online format? i checked out blizzard.com and didn't really see anything about standalone, so i'm guessing it's designed for online play only?

also, if it is possible to play standalone, does the person still have to pay any sort of monthly fee?

thx!

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Ted,

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). In other words, there is no offline portion to the game. You can only play online and the game is at it's best when you are playing with a good group of fellow adventurers. The game allows you to play for the first month free (to get a taste of what it's about) and then you are charged monthly in the amount of 14.95 (or you can sign up for 3/6/12 month plans at a cheaper price). Hope that helps.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx romier. pretty much all i needed to know. i may still get it as my brother-in-law is about to pick it up. i can run around with him i suppose. [​IMG]