Is wolfenstein better on the xbox or pc?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by James_tango, Jun 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. James_tango

James_tango Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I think I'm getting wolfenstein but, at least historically, PC games have been superior to xbox/console games.

What does the xbox version have that the pc version doesn't, and the reverse.

I do have xbox live if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

2. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I don't have xbox live, so I can't compare the two online. Someone else will have to do that (many seem to feel it is the best Live game so far.)
    I have played single and online Wolf on the PC, though, and I have played the xbox game (single player only.)
    I first bought an xbox after buying and returning a Playstation 2, because I felt the Playstation's graphics were just too weak compared to what I was used to on the PC.
    Xbox was a lot closer. Still, games can often lose a lot in the conversion from PC to xbox (Ghost Recon took a pretty big hit in the graphics department IMO)
    Wolf is the first game where I feel like the graphics nearly match those on a decent PC. Yes, PC has higher resolutions, but Wolf on the xbox loses nothing otherwise. It's just a great looking game, and is a lot more immersive on my 27 inch TV than my 19 inch monitor, without losing much if any detail. They just did a great conversion. I'm a dedicated keyboard and mouse FPS player, but the Xbox S-controler works out as well as can be expected, and the vibrations add a lot to the experience.
    While I loved Wolf multi-player on the PC, I grew bored with single-player. I haven't gotten bored with single player on the xbox however, maybe because it is more fun playing on a bigger screen with much better sound, etc. The xbox has some extra levels that were not on the PC, but I don't think that in itself should be much of a deciding factor.

3. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

-I have played both extensively, and I would have to say that one the surface the are indeed very similar which says good things for the box, in that it can match the PC's graphics and play. But once you get under the surface I would actually recommend The Xbox version due to the 100% attachment of microphone headsets for online players. It simply changes the nature of the game and makes it much deeper and more enjoyable. Being able to communicate and coordinate with your teammates AND play simultaneously spoils you against playing and typing on a PC. I do have to note that the PC handled many more online players which created a unique experience that the Xbox cannot match. I really like RTCW on the PC, but I definitely prefer to lay back on my couch and chatter with my team, and the smaller teams offer a more manageable dynamic when coordinating attacks.

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I just Downloaded Enemy Territory and It's Hand down nicer looking. I love the Weather effects, the lightening and rain, have'nt seen anything like that on the Box, but the voice chat brings things more equal. Plus the capability of up to 60 players does mak things more active

5. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

And with that many players it makes playing as a sniper much more enjoyable! [​IMG]

*I'm tempted to download enemy territory, but it would just be taking my PC time away from BF1942, which I enjoy much more than RTCW.

6. Michael St. Clair

Are there any cheating problems online with the PC versions?

7. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I have played both, and prefer X-Box live for the following reasons:

1) No cheating (!!!)
    2) Everybody has a headset for voice communications with no fuss
    3) Playing on the big screen with 5.1 sound ROCKS
    4) Everybody has an equal platform hardware-wise (no whining about your CPU or graphics card not being up to snuff)

It all adds up to a great gaming experience! [​IMG]

XBL: Secretvampire

8. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor