Is Wings of the Dove DVD anamorphic?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rob kilbride, Jun 12, 2005.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I've seen conflicting reviews and features lists so perhaps it is anamorphic but not labeled as such like Dick Tracy. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Just checked out my copy (been a while since I watched this one)- unfortunately, it is not anamorphic.

3. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Did you read the box or watch the video. By the way how does one know if a video is anamorphic or not without info from the box. Does the player or HDTV indicate so somehow? Dvdverdict.com says its anamorphic. Also the box of Deconstructing Harry says it's anamorphic and stresses that it doesn't indicate so on the box.

4. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

5. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Yeah actually i meant digitalbits. I don't think dvdverdict has a review. Can anyone else who owns this copy back up or refute the bits review?

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Not sure, but as I recall, Wings of the Dove was released twice on dvd, the first one was NTO anamorphic, but the second one is.

7. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Can someone play their copy and verify if it anamorphic or not? I know the box doesn't indicate that it is anamorphic, but the review at The Digital Bits says it is. Please check the video and not just the box.

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Bumpin' an oldie.

I have the same question, Rob. DVD Empire is not as comprehensive as it used to be--you used to be able to see all of the various releases of a title on DVD there but they stopped listing older editions maybe about two years ago. They're currently showing one TWOtD listing, a 1999 release that is not labeled anamorphic by either the site or on the back of the box. Typically with Disney titles of this vintage, if it doesn't say anamorphic it isn't.

Disney/Miramax didn't support anamorphic in the early days (1997 through and including most of 1999 and I think beyond). Although the release date listed at DVD Empire unfortunately changes when a re-promote is released, TWOtD is showing a street date of September 1999--that's the same month as another notoriously non-anamo Disney title that the studio needs to get to BD pronto: Quiz Show.

Anyway, this disc has finally bubbled up to the top of one of my Nf queues and I've decided to spin it instead of waiting for a BD. I will have it tomorrow and post word on whether it is or isn't anamo.
    Edited by Paul.S - 8/7/2009 at 02:25 pm GMT

9. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Sorry but TDB's Graham Greenlee is either wrong or was reviewing a different version of the DVD (with the same minimal supplements): this transfer is non-amamo. The disc physically appears just like every other non-anamo Disney title of similar vintage I've ever seen. Labeled with "Stock # 17245." Opens with the FBI warning and then segues to a main menu all of which are in a 4x3 aspect.