What's new

Is Where A Layer Change Occurs Predictable? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I ask this because one of my favorite music DVD's, Yes-Symphonic Live, has a big fat layer change right in the middle of Starship Trooper. :angry:
Do the people mastering or authoring, or whatever they are doing, know where a layer change will occur? I believe the answer is yes(no pun intended), so why would it go right in the middle of a tune?
Anyone familiar with the process?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think the layer change occurs after the first hour of the program. If the change comes during a song, especially Starship Troopers, then I can see how that would suck. Perhaps the folks behind the disc didn't have much of a choice on the matter. It's also possible that if you had a different DVD player the layer change wouldn't be as noticeable.

How is that Yes DVD btw, besides the layer change issue? :)

James Edward

Supporting Actor

In a word, fantastic. Everything seems to have gone well, except the layer change. The band sounds great, and with just about everyone there- Steve Howe, Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, and Alan White. And the keyboardist ain't too shabby either.

As far as sound quality goes, I'd rank it in the top three of music DVD's, the other two being 'In The Flesh', Roger Waters(judging by your sig, I'm sure you have this), and 'We Will Rock You', Queen. Not an intimate sound, like on Sting's 'All this Time' and some others, but quite good arena style sound. And oh, how I want a Peter Gabriel Genesis show on DVD!

One thing it really has is excellent quality bass. Some long, extended synth? bass. Very tasty. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often when people ask for good bass material to try out their new sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks