What's new

Is wearing make-up 'false advertisement'? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
How many of you have dated women that won't be seen in public without make-up on? How many of you were attracted to this "dolled-up" girl only to later discover how unbelievably well make-up works? Well I have and am fed up!

Through my 23.85 years of life, I have seen my fair share of make-up mishaps. In high school I dated a girl (for 2 weeks) that wore so much make up that after we kissed it looked like I was wearing make-up. In college I have had classes with girls who were wearing so much make-up that it looks like they need a chisel to take it off. Many of these girls have caught my eye I have to admit. But I had to think to myself, if these girls have to wear this much make-up to catch my eye, what would happen to my eye if they were to take off the make-up? Would I go blind? turn to stone? I'm not sure, but who knows what that mixture of bat poop and red dye #9 is masking!

Think of it this way: You're out looking for a new car. You see the car you're looking for. It's a (enter your favorite car) with an immaculate fire engine red paint job. There are no dings, dents, scratches, paint chips, or even water spots. You walk up to this car and think to yourself: "I gotta have this car!" Well after walking around the car, admiring it more and more with every step, you decide to see if the door is unlocked, hoping to get a chance to see the interior. You lift the door handle ever so slightly and "click", the door unlatches. The anticipation is killing you. You know you have found the one! You open the door and "WHAM", your heart immediatley begins to sink to your toes. The interior is a putrid pea green with brown stains. While you know this does not actually diminish the performance of the car, you feel deceived by the beautiful paint job.

OK, so maybe it isn't the best metaphor, but that's all I've got! Hopefully you can see the connections. I'm just turned-off by all of this 'false-advertising' with the over-use of make-up to be beautiful. But hey, maybe some people like the "rush" every morning of waking up to someone who looks nothing like the person they fell asleep with.

I've always liked the saying: "You can't polish a turd!"

Am I alone?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
You're definitely not alone. Being only 17, image in my world is everything. But I too am sick and tired of the girls in my school who pile the makeup on. Even grade nines (13 and 14 year olds) pile it on, usually more than the rest of the population.

IMO, the most attractive girl, is the one not wearing makeup. I mean sure, a little eye shadow and maybe some lip gloss is alright. But once you get into heavy concealer, lipstick, mascara, et al, that's jsut way too much.

Of course, maybe I'm being a little steroetypical here, but usually the ones that load the makeup on are the ones who you don't want to end up with in the long run. That's how I judge who I hang out with. Of course, it's all jsut personal preference.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
to answer your original question ... YES!

all my longterm girlfriends so far did not wear makeup most of the time. I met them when not wearing makeup and they only "dolled up" for special occasions.

personally I stay away when I see heavy caked on makeup.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
You're right on, man!

The women that I've been attracted to the most have been the ones that I knew would look good with either no makup or a little bit.

I've always thought too what women who pile on the makeup look like without it. I shudder thinking about it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
When I was only 19 a sailor (U.S.) told me that if she looked good when she came out of the shower, then you picked the right one.

Glenn

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
My own personal opinion but the late Ms. Karen Carpenter didn't have to wear make up, for she had natural beauty. I have her from the DVD "Carpenter's Gold" as my picture memory on my CX-860 300 + 1 DVD changer! R.I.P. Karen the gal I kissed in the aisle at Valley Forge Music Fair. In 1967 before I met the woman who would be my wife, who died of advanced ovarian cancer in 1979. My wife a farmers daughter never wore make up she didn't have to, she like Karen had natural beauty (at least I though so to propose)We married June 20, 1970, she passed away on January 12, 1979, that saturday afternoon in 1970 was a lovely day for both of us. R.I.P. Nancy Mae.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Make up is like special effects. It can make a good movie more interesting or a bad movie bearable.

Imagine Matrix without the special effects, it was still a good story.

Now imagine Starship Troopers without any special effect. What a dud!

Of course, special effects aren't enough to save some movies: Buckaroo Banzai and Howard the Duck come to mind...

Makeup=special effects.

Unfortunately, men can't wear makeup. But money and power are as (if not more) important to women. So men resort to good old fashioned fiction - I mean lying. (Yes ma'am, I make $250,000 year and play golf with the Mayor every Friday)

Is make-up that different from lying?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
All of this talk reminds me of a joke I heard...

***CRUDE JOKE WARNING***

Why do women wear make-up and perfume?
Because they're ugly and they smell bad.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Well, some women use makeup to highlight and accentuate what's already there.

Others, well, if the colours were a bit differnet, you could call it clown makeup.

Is it false advertising? No, not necessarily. It certainly can be, though.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of things men and women do to 'enhance' their image.

Anyone wear cologne or perfume? Do you really expect people to think that's how you REALLY smell? ;)

I think there are some women who feel a bit too dependant on make-up (to the point where they won't go out without it caked on), but that's more "lack of self-image" than "false advertising".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not every woman wearing make-up is looking to hook up with someone else. Sometimes, they wear make-up to make themselves presentable should the ocassion arise. There's the saying, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Also, have y'all not heard of the term "Metrosexual"? There are men who wear make-up, but it's more to conceal blemishes and not necessarily highlight their eyes and cheeks.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I wear makeup and have just about every day for the last 10 years (I'm 24).

I'm not the type that says I will never leave my house without it, but if I have the chance I will put some on. But there are times, like when I'm on-call and at 3am I have to go into work, there's just no time for makeup. Not a big deal.

I consider myself of average looks. I'm not downright ugly, but I'm no supermodel either. I put makeup on in the morning because it makes *me* feel better, not that I'm out to find the greatest catch. I'm married even, so that aspect is totally irrelevant. And I really do think I look a lot better with makeup.

Now, I'm also the type to not cake it on. I put it on in the morning and let it wear off during the day. You won't find me in the bathroom redoing my makeup ever 2 hours and it's likely my makeup will be smudged by the end of the day.

But in any case, NO, I do not feel its false advertising. You've already admitted that you *do* look at madeup women. If no men paid any more attention, most women would stop. And there've been studies done that have shown that men, in general, use a women's looks to initially determine if they're "mate-worthy". Now I realize not all men are like this but many are.

A lot of not-so-great women looking have awesome personalities. Without makeup, to try to up-play our looks, how can we get a man's attention long enough to let them see our personality? And if you say looks aren't important, then why does it matter if they're ugly without makeup?

And in the end, you know what caked-on makeup looks like. You can simply choose not to approach these women at all, or you can do so with a grain of salt. If you're looking for a potential wife/girlfriend, then my suggestion is to stop paying so much attention to the made-up women and give equal consideration to those who do not wear much makeup at all (yes, even the ugly ones).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

I certainly don't. The fact that my fiance prefers the natural look is one of the most appealing things about her.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Really? Kudos, you may one of the few who doesn't.

Anyways, I too like the natural look, but that doesn't mean women with makeup aren't attractive or "phoney".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks