What's new

Is Warners releasing Branagh's Hamlet on 11/16/04? (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The reason I'm asking is that according to DVD file Warners is releasing "for the first time on DVD" Kenneth Branagh's Henry VIII on 11/15/04 for a list price of $29.95.

The only problem is Branagh never made a film called Henry VIII. He made a film called Henry V (1989) that IS on DVD courtesy of MGM video through their deal with Samuel Goldwyn films.

$29.95 is awfully steep for a Warners title which leads me to suspect that perhaps DVD file got it wrong (wouldn't be the first time) and that the title is actually Branagh's Hamlet which would most likely be spread over two discs hence the higher MSRP and Warners does have the rights to that title and it's never been on DVD.

Just thinking out loud and hoping.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Noticed the error too. It lead me to believe Henry VIII might've been some straight to video movie. :D

Here's to hoping.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing it's one of his stage plays, filmed and printed on DVD. Hope I'm wrong. (Please, let it be Hamlet!)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
I looked it up. Kenneth Branagh never did a version of Henry VIII, although a TV version of VIII was made in 2003 with Sean Bean and Branagh's one-time girlfriend Helena Bonham Carter.

My guess is it's a typo of Henry V being reissued by WB.

Which is fine, because I never picked up the MGM release. That, or the DVD of Love's Labour's Lost.

Man, what a keen box set those would be, if they included Much Ado and Hamlet! Hell, why not include A Midwinter's Tale (AKA In the Bleak Midwinter), and his TV production of Twelfth Night?

But not Othello, he didn't direct that one.

I'm still bummed that his Intermedia deal didn't bear fruit of Macbeth in modern day New York and As You Like It in Kyoto, Japan.

Oh well.

CDE,

CS

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Henry VIII was on Brit TV ( I think it was a co-production with HBO) last year and was released on DVD in R2 shortly afterwards. It was basically a dramatised history of the said monarch. To the best of my knowledge, Kenneth Branagh wasn't in it.

There is a play sometimes attributed to Shakespeare called Henry VIII (at best only partly written by him and IMHO not v. good), but I don't think it's been filmed beyond a production in the BBC Shakespeare series.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just seen the cover on Amazon; it is the British mini-series, not with Kenneth Branagh, but with Ray Winstone as the 'cor blimey' ruler.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the clarification, John. DVD file's sloppiness in getting the facts straight (the attachment of Branagh's name to the project) got my hopes up. But what can one expect from a site that originally referred to an Oscar nominated Irving Berlin musical like Alexander's Ragtime Band as a B movie programmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks