What's new

Is Warner going to release RYANS DAUGHTER in 2013? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
OK. not the greatest David Lean film ever made, but it was filmed in Super-Panavion 70 and would look terrific on bluray.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I would be first in line to get one. I think the film gets undue criticism. Yes, it is much ado about nothing, but but beautifully so. The DVD gets plenty of repeated views in my house.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I would be second in line to get one the DVD looks pretty good but the BD should look really good,
Have seen this many times in 70mm, the prints taken from the original 65mm neg looked fantastic.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I also would love to have this movie on Blu-ray for the beautiful filming of the country of Ireland shown throughout. The high cliffs, long walks on the beautiful sandy beaches, just a gorgeous movie. I have read where David Lean tried very hard to figure out why this movie was not very popular. Was Robert Mitchum miscast? Could the story have been told in a different manner? Truth is this is a beautiful boring movie. Nothing really happens during the 31/2 hour running time.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ernest said:
Truth is this is a beautiful boring movie. Nothing really happens during the 31/2 hour running time.
You may find this film boring but I don't and neither, it seems, do two other posters in this thread. It's not a James Bond film and there are not fights, car chases, explosions etc. every few minutes but quite a lot happens in Ryan's Daughter.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I'd only seen bits of it as a kid on telly - pan & scan and black & white. Not impressed. So I made a blind buy of the DVD. Through adult eyes, I loved it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I've been holding off on the DVD out of the assumption a blu-ray would be coming shortly. Lean's films generally lend themselves nicely to HD presentations.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Love this film. It's not an action film or a war film, although there is considerable conflict and suspense. Love the setting and the period detail, and I found way of life depicted in the hardscrabble Irish town a very interesting place to visit for two-and-half hours.. This is a romance about relationships that depends on the actors finding just the right emotional state of being. The performances are deeply felt, and Lean fine-tunes the actors like violin strings. RYAN'S DAUGHTER shows David Lean at the peak of his creativity as a dramatist and director of actors.

The criticism is much ado about nothing. Some people wanted every David Lean film to be another LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, like Peckinpah fans wanted every film to be another THE WILD BUNCH. They wouldn't accept him doing any other kind of story. Nobody complained about SUMMERTIME when it was new. Everybody loved it. But that was before Lean upped the ante with BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAII and LAWRENCE.

The DVD boasted one of the highest-quality transfers in the medium. A blu-ray can do no less. I'll buy RYAN'S DAUGHTER on blu the instant it becomes available.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
What a beautiful Blu-ray this will make. Money already set aside for this when it comes down the pipe.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've never seen the movie, but I've bought every David Lean release so far. Don't see why I wouldn't buy this one. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks