What's new

IS Warner Bros. PULLING Swordfish DVD? (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
No one, at least in any posts I've seen, has expressed disappointment about any delays. There have been a couple of threads where users asked what delays, if any, might arise from this...nothing insensitive and nothing tactless, at least in my opinion. I apologize if this sounds like I'm criticizing any of the moderators or their decisions, as that's not my intent.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Spider-Man using these towers to catch the bad guys would be creepy to watch now
Tremendously. Obviously no such scene will appear in the final film. Heck, I watched something as inocuous as Startup.com I got a chill when a participant stood in front of the Manhattan skyline and the twin towers were evident. How freaky will it be for anyone to watch the 1976 King Kong now?
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I do think it makes sense for Warner to delay releasing
films on DVD that may resonate with the current tragedy
a bit too much. Wether I personally think it is silly
or not, the studios must contend with publicity, and
if people complain that the studios are being insensitive
for releasing films like Swordfish on DVD a little
too closely to the nation's biggest home front attack since
Pearl Harbor, then I can see why it might be delayed.
At this point I don't know how soon I am going to
watch King Kong again,
since the towers figure prominently in it also.
(So now my favorite cheese-ball, no-brain
summer film has a depressing aspect to it.)
As for the moderators,
I haven't been around here in several days,
but I do think they work very hard to make
sure this form is a un-political as possible,
and that is stays on topic.
Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on September 13, 2001 at 10:07 PM]

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I don't think studios should make the mistake of equating DVDs that have had their theatrical run suchas Swordfish with releasing new movies like Collateral Damage in commercial theaters. One would be viewed and enjoyed in the privacy of your home, the other viewed in a public place with a mixed audience of strangers. The commercial release would be held up to the daily scrutiny of movie critics. There is a huge difference.
[Edited last by Reginald Trent on September 13, 2001 at 10:34 PM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
People are talking about these couple of thread closures/deletions like it's all we've been doing over the past few days.
It's pretty obvious you have no idea what has been involved in looking after this site since Tuesday's events.
I am, quite frankly, sick to my stomach over some of the whining going on over this. To post on the same day of the attack about getting DVDs late is - to me - tactless and downright pathetic. All planes were grounded. How bloody obvious does it have to be that shipments will be late?
Go and do something useful instead of bitching about us.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Rob,
Well said.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Sometimes I wonder. Are we really THAT sick?
Regardless how much we care about these movies, they are just that. MOVIES. DVD or not.
They are just entertainment!
So what if the entertainment is delayed for a short while.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Rob, I agree 100%.
1) Anyone with more than three brain cells should have figured out that there are going to be delays and disruptions - of things a lot more important than DVDs. So there is no need to ask the question in the first place.
2) Given (1), even asking constitutes a form of whining, and indicates some seriously skewed priorities. Would everyone be as tolerant of a bunch of posts asking if thiss was going to affect people's stock portfolios? The threads are no doubt being closed and/or deleted fast because the moderators have already seen the kind of angry reponses that similar posts have (justifiably) drawn in the past.
3) The reason the studios are "equating" new DVD releases with new movie releases is that both have to be advertised in order to reach an audience, and right now nobody wants to run a bunch of ads showing buildings blowing up. Let's have a show of hands? How many people think this is surprising or unreasonable.
TV stations are rescheduling movies and switching TV episodes around if they come uncomfortably close to the current events, and I think that is the right thing to do.
Nobody is talking about banning books or destroying films, people, so let's rachet down the rhertoric, shall we? Show business is showing some uncommon consideration for the raw feelings of a traumatized world. We should applaud their efforts and understand that nothing in our lives is going to be exactly the same as it was before Tuesday, certainly not for a long time to come, perhaps never. The entertainment "impact" ranks towards the bottom of my list of priorities.
Regards,
Joe
------------------

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Go and do something useful instead of bitching about us
Oh, no. You've gone and pissed off Rob. Have you ever seen posts by Rob when he's angry?
Run Away! Run Away!!
laugh.gif

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
While not directly related to this topic, I was watching BLOW the other night... and the airport they were flying drugs into at the beginning of the movie was Logan Airport in Boston. That creeped me out a little...

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that this isn't the time to be worrying about such trivial things as when our DVDs will arrive in the mail. And I also agree with the movie studios delaying questionable releases. Last night on CBS's coverage of the tragedy, they were talking about how Hollywood is reacting, and they showed a clip from the Collateral Damage. Me and my family had to look away from the screen. It all hits home just a little to hard right now.
Not that I'm saying that everybody should feel this way, but I think that we all have to understand that there are a lot of people out there who don't need to see this trailer playing on TV, and don't need to see ads for movies and DVDs that feature a lot of gratuitous explosions and crashes.
At least for the time being, this kind of violence should not be used as entertainment.
God Speed to all the workers in New York, and God Bless all of you who are living in that area.
Ian
------------------
Ian M. Fisher
[email protected]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just read DVDfile, they reported that Warner Brothers are thinking of delaying Swordfish DVD indefinatly!
They said if they do, to check back with DVDfile
------------------

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Joseph,
Nobody is talking about banning books or destroying films, people, so let's rachet down the rhertoric, shall we?
Actually, depending on where you read, people are saying this. Dark Horizons lists requests to rental outlets and other retailers to remove copies of Die Hard, ID4, Armageddon and others from the shelves and for TV stations to *never* play them on TV again. Some people with agendas are taking advantage of this situation.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
this is not completely related but last night I was watching DHWAV and I took notice in a line said by one of the characters, "you remember the WTC and what a mess that was right?" of course they were referring to the WTC bombing in 1993 but that line especially has meaning now and it actually bothered me. Now on to the business at hand, I realize we all love our DVD collection with a passion but I think worrying about what DVDs are going to get delayed to me is very trivial at this moment. I really want that "Swordfish" DVD too but I think it does not take precedent in a matter like this. Can everyone here honestly say that it would be right for the families of the victims involved inthis horrific and cowardly act should see a trailer advertsing a DVD with lots of explosions and gun fights? IMHO we need to give it some time. I waited all summer for a "Swordfish" DVD why can't I wait a tad longer? if they delay the "Swordfish" DVD so so be it there are tons of other DVDs out there that I can get to tide me over in the meantime. The bottom line, just give it some time you'll get your DVD's eventually.
------------------
-Keith-

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I purchased a used copy of the Men in Black LE a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to watching it last night. The WTC buildings are very visible in several scenes and knowing what the future had in store for them really diverted my attention from the movie. I can see why some of these other films are being postponed...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
[Edited last by SteveGon on September 18, 2001 at 09:41 AM]
[Edited last by SteveGon on September 18, 2001 at 09:42 AM]

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Don't know if it was a studio or a university decision, but UVa's theater was going to have a couple screenings of Swordfish, and they have been cancelled due to the recent tragedy. I would imagine similar decisions were made at other schools and second-run theaters.
I both can and can't see the justification for decisions such as this. It is true that I and many others would find it in poor taste to get entertainment out of such subject matter at this time. However, this would also be like saying Swordfish was in poor taste because it was made after the Oklahoma City bombing and many other terrorist acts.
It is strange that many of us humans are entertained by depictions of things and actions that horrify and disgust if/when they happen in the real world.
It is definitely common courtesy for studios to hold back for a bit on certain releases and the corresponding ad campaigns out of courtesy for the victims, and to give the nation time to mourn and come back to their senses.
But life goes on, and it would be unhealthy for us to mourn and grieve forever.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.
[Edited last by AaronMK on September 18, 2001 at 11:00 PM]

Joel C

Screenwriter
Our school was also showing Swordfish in our free screening this week, and they are going on as planned. The Anniversary Party was cancelled, but only because the print never showed up (delayed shipping).
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote: Our school was also showing Swordfish in our free screening this week[/quote]
Wow! What class is this? "Boobs for Profits 101"?
laugh.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 19, 2001 at 04:47 AM]

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ Even if Swordfish was released today , I haven't been able to watch and or even enjoy any movie right now, my heart just isn't into it.
On the subject of delays, IMO the only delivery delays we should be concerned about right now is the fresh blood and or other life saving supplies needed for the real human drama unfolding on our screens right now !
I'll deal with MY needs, in life, which I still have, at a later more convienent time.
bodymov'n
------------------
[Edited last by Mike Friedrich on September 19, 2001 at 07:34 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks