What's new

IS Warner Bros. PULLING Swordfish DVD? (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just a curious thought.
The movie comes out in Oct.
Here's why I think they might pull the DVD(for now)
SPOILERS TELL THE BEGIN & END!
Spoiler:The bus rams through a building while airborne. people strapped with bombs, people falling out of the bus, then exploding instantly
------------------

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why. A tragedy occured but this does not mean the world has to end, nor a movie studio has to pull a product.
J

Sandra

Agent
Empire magazine website in UK reports Warner pulled the film from theatre following yestersay's events (the film opened here only end of July).
No idea what this mean for the DVD. There is still some time before the release.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I don't know... am I the only one who thinks this is getting kind of silly?
Granted, this is an enormous tragedy that still hasn't fully sunk in, but even so... movies with violence and in New York have been coming out for decades now. Pulling them all now won't do the victims any good, and if anyone feels that movies with such content isn't the most appropriate thing right now then they can just refrain from watching them at this time.
Please note that by silly I mean this pulling of films, not the tragic events unfolding in New York and Washington.
------------------
/Kimmo

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Pulling them all now won't do the victims any good, and if anyone feels that movies with such content isn't the most appropriate thing right now then they can just refrain from watching them at this time.
Granted pulling the films won't help anyone, but not grinding everyone's face in recent events (via advertising for those movies and/or DVDs) certainly isn't going to help, either. At the very least it would make the studios look incredibly insensitive and they're under enough pressure at the moment. At least two upcoming films, an AH-nuld action picture and one other are being held-up indefinitely because of violence, explosions and terrorist themes. They've even pulled the Spiderman trailer off the official site because it features shots of a web between the two towers of the WTC. There's nothing "evil" about such a shot, but it does give me a slightly queasy feeling, and I doubt it will survive the final cut, if only because it would be such a huge distraction to the audience to see the intact New York skyline featured in any film released after this horror.
As a New Yorker for most of my life (I remember when the WTC was built) I still find it hard to imagine that image - a Manhattan without those twin towers. It will be like a permanent scar unless we find the money, the heart, and the will to build them all over again - bigger, and better and stronger. I think that would be the best revenge on the animals who did this and those who support them.
Regards,
Joe
------------------

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I did not read the spoiler since I have not seen the flick, but I saw on a ticker on the bottom of one of the enws channels that Arnold's new film, Collateral Damage has been delayed...
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
If they decide to pull Swordfish, they might as well pull Pearl Harbour too. I think this is getting out of hand. How about we have every movie censored that has any violence that can be linked to any actual occurence?? I think we may all be watching Barney videos for the rest of our lives if that were the case.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
BTW (sorry if this is offtopic but I think it is important)
Joseph:
It will be like a permanent scar unless we find the money, the heart, and the will to build them all over again - bigger, and better and stronger. I think that would be the best revenge on the animals who did this and those who support them.
At the moment the "Frauenkirche" in Dresden is rebuild. It was destroyed in WW2 while the city was bombed. It is not the government who gives the money for the reconstruction but it is solely financed with private donations (some 100 Mill $, don't have the exact figures). Of course the WTC is another dimension.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
movies with violence and in New York have been coming out for decades now
True, but never before have they had to contend with an American audience in which millions have just been traumatized by repeated images of real planes crashing, real buildings collapsing and real people plunging hundreds of feet to their death.
For people in the U.S., the world changed on Sept. 11, 2001. Everything is up for reevaluation; nothing can be taken for granted.
M.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I agree that this is getting kind of silly. What else happens. Die Hard-all the copies to be destroyed? Tom Clancy writes about terrorism-might as well ban him. Scorcese makes films set in New York-whoops, can't have any more of those...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Who said anything about banning or destroying? All that's been announced so far are postponements.
M.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Matt, to be fair to the moderators, they are doing their best to cope with a forum that by necessity of current events is seeing an unprecedented level of posts that would be classed as either political or at least belong in After Hours. There is also the question of taste; our mods are human beings, and seeing threads about how this might affect shipping of next week's releases or whatever is bound to be a bit upsetting.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I understand all that, but DELETING non-political posts that simply discuss how this is affecting shipments is going to far, in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with discussing these matters. Look, my girlfriend has lost a number of friends to this tragedy and is still waiting on word from many more who were in Tower 2. So discussing these matters is not in any way shape or form disrespectful to those innocent people who have been murdered.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'm sorry to hear that Matt. I also agree that perhaps its reasonable to discuss these things, but our moderators have really had their work cut out these last few days, so I'm not going to argue every questionable call - I'm just grateful that they feel up to running the forum at all.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I think the biggest movie to be pulled will probably be Air Force One. Maybe we should just pull everything that has any building in it. Or maybe we should just poke out everyones eyes. That way when they can't remove the WTC from every movie/tv show we will never know. Just a thought.
------------------

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Matt, the criticism is getting really trying.
In amongst all the messages posted over the past two days we see one or two asking if their DVDs are going to be late because of the events, so we lock or delete them.
I'm sorry if you have a problem with our (my) decision in on this matter, but I think you need to back the hell off and quit whining about 'censorship' like we are some kind of oppresive regime. All we are trying to do is keep things orderly here and quite frankly complaints such as this are making our lives a damn sight harder at the moment.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
In no way am I encouraging censorship, but I feel a little sensitivity is in order. At this time, we don't know how many THOUSANDS of innocent Americans lost their lives in this tragedy. For every one killed, I think we can figure at least 4 grieving family members, lovers, etc. This is an awful lot of people in an awful lot of pain.
Spider-Man using these towers to catch the bad guys would be creepy to watch now--even for me and I had no direct connection to anyone involved. For thousands and thousands of people, this would be rubbing salt in the wound.
As to whether this will cause delays in shipments of DVDs...who cares? I've lived over 4 decades without these films on disc. A few days or even a few months really won't matter in the long run.
This has been one of the worst weeks in American history and people are upset because they might have to wait an extra week for the Simpsons DVD. Sheesh!
ps-I applaud the HTF administrators for the job they're doing during these difficult days.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Anyone think an explosion-filled commercial for Collateral Damage would be fun to watch right now?
Didn't think so. I can't imagine how we got from these tasteful postponements to talking about censorship. Nobody said anything about boycotts or book-burnings.
Do you guys really need your Arnie fix that bad?
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks