Is Wal-Mart Scaling Back on DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I just came from one of our half dozen Wal-Mart Super Centers that I visit frequently and noticed something both odd and alarming!

A week ago they had 3 aisles of DVD's and a trailer preview scanner monitor on display. Tonight, there was only ONE aisle of DVD's with no monitor and noticed the stock person putting out more VHS tapes in which they now have 2 aisles of! There was game software filling the space that the balance of the DVD's occupied previously.

There was also a bin about 5 feet square and deep full of DVD's just thrown in at $14.99 each and no way you could look at all of them to see if there is one you wanted by the way the bin was presented (loaded like beach balls).

The last minute purchase displays by the cash registers containing DVD's were gone and what displays remaining outside the electronics area were blocked by other merchandise so you couldn't see them well.

What are these clowns doing? Are they now thinking that if they can't sell the DVD's they want to sell then they won't sell any at all and push VHS instead? That is what it looked like to me this evening here in Richmond, Virginia!

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

They probably bought Circuit City's overstock.
    [​IMG]

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well, unless Walmart is your only DVD source, I find this to be a positive sign. If Walmart backs out of DVD, then the primary pusher of P&S (since Ballbuster went Widescreen) will be backing out of DVD. This will lessen the pressure on studios for P&S product.

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Noticed the same at my local Wallmart. Hardly any DVD's now.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Good... keep them J6Ps with their pan and scam tapes and away from my WIDESCREEN DVDs. Who would even want to go into Wal*Mart anyways? The old-geezer greeter scares me [​IMG]

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Hmmm ... This *is* interesting.

At my local Wal-Mart they suddenly have scads of $9.95 titles on rotating column displays outside of the regular "Home Entertainment" area... and quite a few of these are what I would consider to be in the "very desirable" category. Titles like Ghostbusters, How the West Was Won, The Great Escape and so forth, that were released to DVD several years ago.

Then they have another huge rack of $14.95 titles inside the "Home Entertainment" area. Many of the titles on display at this rack would have been considered "prime releases" just six months ago.

Finally, they now have just one regular aisle of DVD titles at their usual discount prices. These are all comprised of very recent releases with the exception of the Disney titles. (None of the Disney titles were on display at the discount racks.)

The extra space was devoted to game software; not VHS at this particular store.

If Wal-Mart is scaling back on DVD, then I agree with just about everybody else here that this is extraordinarily good news for fans of OAR presentations everywhere!

In the meantime, you may as well see if you can snag a bargain or two!

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

They are just rotating out "old" stock (yeah; six months is old in the retail biz). Much of it got sent back to their distributers, I'm sure. What the distributers didn't want to give credit for (probably stuff that was recently marked down on SRPs...much of that "bin" stuff was; check my Weekly Roundups), they dumped into those bins.

They are filling the space with computer software for the upcoming back-to-school period, and with VHS to clear out their remaining stock of old worthless tapes.

At the same time, they are upgrading their displays in many stores...especially the videogame diplays. They need more fixtures which hold X-Box, Gamecube, and PS2 size boxes, and to clear out the fixtures which hold, say, N64-style thicker boxes (cartridge-based media).

In many of those stores the new security fixtures will hold DVD as well; these stores are probably experiencing higher rates of shoplifting. We've already had a thread about this sort of thing (WalMart returning to locked cabinets; K-Mart is doing the same in places).

Come October at the latest, DVD will be back on those shelves in full-force, don't worry. Just in time for the holidays! :wink:

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Bummer [​IMG] Like everyone else noted, dvds aren't going to go away if Wal-Mart decides to stop carrying them, but their clout to push p&s would have.

9. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Maybe Wal-Mart is giving up on DVDs altogether since the studios have not caved in to their demands and started releasing all titles in pan-and-scan only!

Steven - fret not! There are MANY better places in Richmond to buy DVDs than Wal-Mart - even the dreaded Circuit City. Believe it or not, Target has a great DVD section. Tons of older titles at dirt-cheap prices.

10. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I noticed at my local Wal-Mart that they have increased the amount of DVDs they have. They now have added another aisle plus 2 aisle displays full of older DVDs.
    Must be regional.

11. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have not been to Wal-Mart in a while but I have noticed this same trend at my local Costco.

12. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

SHOOT one of my local WAL-MARTS has even tossed all but the most resent VHS releases into a bargan bin for less than $2, and olny carrying two VHS machines (one of these being a combo DVD/VHS device)and opened the shelfs to more DVD releases.. So while your local store seems to be dropping DVD's it seems over all most stores are dropping VHS tapes!

--David

13. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I noticed the same thing. The big beach ball dvd rack and very small collection. Not very good titles either.

14. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

Ours seems to be down a little, was there today and picked up three titles for $5.88 each, hard to pass up at that price;

American Flyer
    Loaded Weapon 1
    Stay Tuned

There is still the island of $14.88 and then the row of new releases...

G2

15. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

VHS and DVD switched sides at my local wal-mart so DVD has more space than VHS now there.

16. Shelley Douglas

Shelley Douglas Auditioning

Not scaling back here. In fact, they have remodeled their entire section of the store to place it behind an airport security scanner (that's not really what it is, but that's what it looks like).
    There is a great deal more room dedicated to not only DVDs, but to video games and consoles and small electronics.
    It looks more like a dedicated section now. They put their "old" stock on sale to push it out and they are gearing up for some new titles in the expanded space.
    My DVD Collection

17. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

My Wal-Mart just recently expanded their DVD selection and scaled back the VHS section a lot. They installed new shelving specifically designed for DVDs. The presentation is nice, and the selection is pretty good too, far better than Target or any other department store. It's even better than Circuit City, and not too far off of Best Buy.

18. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I think that it's not a very big difference. If you were to count facings, I bet they would actually have almost the same amount - except now it's easier to shop. The old shelves were a stop-gap until they could find dedicated fixtures that are flexible, like they have now in the remodeled stores. Now, if you notice, all types of media are interchangeable on these new steel shelves -DVD, VHS, jewelcase product and, a big component of their strategy, software. Instead of hardcore areas apart from each other, the new fixtures allow for a flexible flow of complementing technologies. Sorry to be the messenger, but this is just another sign of Wal Mart's commitment to DVD and future expansion. (Too bad for them that Target has had a similar concept for 4 or 5 years now [​IMG] )
    Matt

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

20. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    My store used to have half an isle of DVD's and a whole isle of VHS. Then they remodlede the whole electronics section, moved the video games to the opposite side of the section, and put them in the new display unit. Then they put in the new fixtures, and expanded the DVD's to1 isle plus 1 small section of a 2nd isle for new releases. There is only 1 isle for VHS now. They started this remodel the week Harry Potter came out, and as soon as I saw that the vidoe games were being removed I figured they were remodeling. I was at the store everyday watching the whole process. I saw people removing tapes and CD's from shelves, putting them in shopping carts, and moving parts of the shelving units out. So if your store seems to be taking some of the DVD's away, they are probably getting ready to install new fixtures, which will most likely hold more DVD's. I have noticed these new fixtures at a lot of stores now.