1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is vertical banding just a reality of LCD projection tvs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Danny Beck, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I've recently noticed banding on many of the LCD projection sets in stores. In fact, i've noticed it on every single set i've looked for it on.

Does anyone have a definite answer as to whether this is a reality of LCDs or is it actually a problem with those particular sets? Also, does it seem to be more common with larger sets? I'm wondering if the smaller sets are less prone to this happening.

Dan

2. MarkB

MarkB Extra

VB is inherrent to LCD's. That said, the level it is visible will vary significantly from looking like jail bars to being barely noticable on the right color scene, moving at the right speed, if your looking for it. Sometimes it can be corrected/minimized through calibration.

If you decide on a model you like, you may want to check AVSforum out as they have fixes for VB on many devices.

Good luck,
    Mark

3. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I was not aware their were "fixes" for vertical banding. I thought it was part of the actual panel and therefore not fixable unless replaced.

4. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Hey, that's the answer I was looking for about what I saw. If it's true that that's a problem with LCDs...then there's no way I'll ever buy an LCD display. I found it very distracting.

5. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Thanks for the feedback. I got a Panasonic LCD projector a month or so ago, and have noticed the vertical banding. At least now I know there's likely nothing wrong with my machine. As was noted, how visible the banding is can vary greatly. I find that in my setup, it's most noticeable on solid colored light backgrounds. In particular, it can be bad on pale blue or gray sky. On mine, it's pretty easy to ignore, although more prominent than screen door effects. I find I notice it more if the movie is slow going as opposed to one I'm really into. [​IMG]

Aaron Gilbert