Is Vacuuming Harmful?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidBelis, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. DavidBelis

    DavidBelis Agent

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    10
    I was just vacuuming my carpet, and the thought came across me that it might harm my speakers for some reason due to its magnetism.

    When I vacuum near my tv or computer, the picture stards to get grainy, 'snowy' and filled with static.

    Does this damage these components?

    Because just today, I was vacuuming within a few feets of my Paradigm Titans and CC170, and within inches of my PDR10.

    SO, can this cause any permanent damage? My CC170 says that it's magnetically shielded, but what about all my other components?
     
  2. Barry BB

    Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2001
    Messages:
    168
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I don't know the answer to your question for sure, but I have been vacuuming around my Studios for over a year and I have not noticed any ill affects. So I'd say it is safe to keep your house clean.
     
  3. Greg-ST

    Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2003
    Messages:
    193
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Vacuum cleaners won't emit any kind of magnetic field that'll damage anything. The interference you're seeing is from RF signals being emitted by the motor.
     
  4. Roberto Carlo

    Roberto Carlo Second Unit

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2002
    Messages:
    445
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I'm sorry, but I have to laugh. Not at your question, but at the prospect of what a "yes" will do to the already touchy question of "WAF." I can just imagine guys explaining to their wives why there's dust and schmutz an inch deep in the family room.
     
  5. Chris Tsutsui

    Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2002
    Messages:
    1,865
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Here's my take,

    There are 2 ways to demagnetize a magnet, first is to apply opposing magnetic fields in sequentially decreasing magnitude down to zero. The other way would be to heat up the magnet to insane temperatures above 310+ deg C.

    So a vacuum would have to be shut off so it's spooling down while it emitts very strong magnetic fields equal to that of the magnet? I don't think that's possible with household vacuums.

    Oh, I just read that in the absence of external forces on a magnet, a permanent magnet will not lose any more than 2% of it's magnetism over a 100 year period. So I guess that means our speakers will start sounding different as it ages due to loss of magnetism. (Another excuse to upgrade)
     

Share This Page