What's new

Is Vacuuming Harmful? (1 Viewer)

DavidBelis

Agent
I was just vacuuming my carpet, and the thought came across me that it might harm my speakers for some reason due to its magnetism.

When I vacuum near my tv or computer, the picture stards to get grainy, 'snowy' and filled with static.

Does this damage these components?

Because just today, I was vacuuming within a few feets of my Paradigm Titans and CC170, and within inches of my PDR10.

SO, can this cause any permanent damage? My CC170 says that it's magnetically shielded, but what about all my other components?

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know the answer to your question for sure, but I have been vacuuming around my Studios for over a year and I have not noticed any ill affects. So I'd say it is safe to keep your house clean.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Vacuum cleaners won't emit any kind of magnetic field that'll damage anything. The interference you're seeing is from RF signals being emitted by the motor.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I'm sorry, but I have to laugh. Not at your question, but at the prospect of what a "yes" will do to the already touchy question of "WAF." I can just imagine guys explaining to their wives why there's dust and schmutz an inch deep in the family room.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Here's my take,

There are 2 ways to demagnetize a magnet, first is to apply opposing magnetic fields in sequentially decreasing magnitude down to zero. The other way would be to heat up the magnet to insane temperatures above 310+ deg C.

So a vacuum would have to be shut off so it's spooling down while it emitts very strong magnetic fields equal to that of the magnet? I don't think that's possible with household vacuums.

Oh, I just read that in the absence of external forces on a magnet, a permanent magnet will not lose any more than 2% of it's magnetism over a 100 year period. So I guess that means our speakers will start sounding different as it ages due to loss of magnetism. (Another excuse to upgrade)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks