Is using my a/v reciever all day ok?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I recently got another dish system and I was lazy and just plugged it into the reciever for switching instead of rerouting everything through an external switcher(which I have).Anyway,the reciever sits on the bottom shelf with damn near a foot above it before the next shelf.It is pushing 2 years old however I got suckered into getting the 5 year warranty with it from circut city(its an onkyo 575).
    So...am I sending it to an early grave?I recently moved to an apartment SO I do not get to play it very loud,just watching the tv is usually around 50db or so,movies and music mabey a bit louder but I am too poliet.
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're not abusing it, you shouldn't have a problem. I usually opt to leave mine on during days when I use it a good bit.
    I don't think you'll lose any use by doing that.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

a buddy of mine once told me about "M.T.B.F" - mean time between failure. he said it was a measurement of how many times something could be switched on or off before it fails.
    basically he was saying you're better off leaving your component on all day then turning it on/off seven or eight times. made sense to me and i've stuck by it ever since.
    i use this rule for anything electronic...pc, ht gear, nintendo, etc.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

4. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,unless leaving it in 5 channel stereo(except for dvds which is dd/dts),everything set to small is abuse,im not abusing it.
    Ted,can the same be said for a tv?My tv is on from the time the kids get up in the am until I go to bed in the pm.I guess you cant do that with a lcd/dlp fp but any other tv?
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I am also a believer in leaving something ON rather than turning it ON and OFF numerous times a day.
    In my parents home, they shut off the TV 3-4 times a day and the great XBR has gone belly up and is not worth fixing.
    Basically this is also true with cars. It's really starting up a car when it's cold that does the most damage to an engine ... at least that's what I hear.
    Cab drivers here in NYC drive cars literally 24 hours straight (2 shifts) and I very rarely see a broken down cab.
    ------------------
    RIGHT ... CHEERS!
    The Hole

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The same goes with light bulbs. Although the manufacturers test how many hours it can stay on before burning out, they don't turn it off and on. And when do they usually burn out? When you turn it on.
    Turning it off and on decreases the bulb's life over a period of time. Maybe that's why the average PC monitor lasts longer than the family TV.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Yep, I will agree that electronic devices are most likely to fail during power up and shut down. I wouldn't be surprised if induction, (which can create huge current or voltage surges in very short periods of time when establishing or removing a contact) had something to do with it.
    --
    Holadem

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ted Lee wrote this:

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've never had a single sudden failure of a piece of gear due to power up or shutdown. This includes a 1987 Denon CD player, still in daily use, 1987 Denon integrated amp (at my friend's house), and everything I've purchased after that (which has been a LOT, trust me. [​IMG] )
    So, for me, this power on failure thing with consumer electronics is a myth. I see this a bit at work on industrial robotic stuff (bad power supply designs), but never at home.
    I would not be surprised if that receiver can provide 20 YEARS of life at 8-12 hours/day of normal listening, assuming it's cared for.
    Todd
    [Edited last by Todd Hochard on October 16, 2001 at 06:53 PM]

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

double-post...
    [Edited last by Ted Lee on October 16, 2001 at 07:32 PM]

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

For more on MTBF. Any part - mechanical or electrical - has a life expectancy. We know that light bulbs are on the bottom of this. [​IMG]
    As for parts, every manufacturer makes an item and then runs it until it fails. Even switches have a breakdown point. Sooner or later, they are going to crap out on you.
    In a receiver, there are IC's resistors, capicitors and other items. Each one has its own rating. If you could get a list of all of them and find out which one was going to go first, that would be the MTBF of the receiver.
    Sorry! The longer you leave it on, the sooner that number is going to come up. It may be a vital part, and then again, it may not.
    Your warranty should give you a clue. If it is one year, then they probably ran that model 24/7/365. At 4 hours a day, it would work for about 6 years before something failed, but it could last longer.
    If a receiver failed because of a surge during a power up, the receiver is a piece of crap.
    Glenn