What's new

Is using black electrical tape a no-no when building DIY interconnects? (1 Viewer)

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I've been reading on the Jon Risch interconnect and others, and they all recommend using the white plumbers tape on interconnects and speaker cables. Does the black electrical tape degrade the quality in some way?

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried the "Tweaking, Connections and Accessories" forum ? ... you may more responces there

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
FWIW... my experience with electrical tape is that it eventually dries out and "unwraps". I've pretty much abandoned electrical tape for anything and gone to heat-shrink sleeving and a heat gun.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
my experience with electrical tape is that it eventually dries out and "unwraps". I've pretty much abandoned electrical tape for anything and gone to heat-shrink sleeving and a heat gun.
Yeah, electrical tape eventually turns into a gooey, sticky mess. I'm not sure why they'd recommend plumber's tape either.. it doesn't seem like it would stick too well. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong kind of tape.

I would invest in some shrink wraps that can be shrunk with a hair dryer if you don't want to invest in a heat gun. And it comes in most any color you want.

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure why they'd recommend plumber's tape either.. it doesn't seem like it would stick too well.
Because of the "audible" qualities of teflon vs. other dielectrics. IOW, nothing that you would notice unless you were thinking about it. :D Take everything technical Jon Risch says with a large grain of salt.

Use heat shrink to insulate cables and wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks