What's new

Is USDigital HDTV Receiver Any Good? (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I saw this at Wal*Mart the other day for a heck of a deal ($198.) and was wondering if anyone had the lowdown on it?

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Anyone?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There is some discussion of it over at the AVS forum.

Many users are pretty negative about USDTV because it is said to use bandwidth that is assigned to existing OTA digital channels, such that those channels may be unable to broadcast in full HD.

For example, I live in Albuquerque, one of the test cities. USDTV is working with the local UPN (or is it WB?) affiliate. As such, the local affiliate will not likely have enough bandwidth to broadcast any of their network content in HD (like Star Trek - Enterprise). Time will tell, I guess.

Those of us that are starved for as much HD as we can get are not really happy with the prospect, although it is completely within the law to allow a station to use its bandwidth for anything, so long as they are broadcasting digitally; no HD required, unfortunately.

Perhaps there are some actual user posts at AVS that can better address your specific inquiry.

BGL

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Brian, what I think William wants to know, and myself too, is the OTA tuner any good??? Also, can you buy them with no strings attached just to use as OTA tuners? :)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Rachel,
You are correct. I saw this receiver for that low price and then went back the next week and they have an LG receiver for $398. sitting side-by-side the USDigital.
I know that there HAS to be a difference, but I don't know what it is. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks