Is USB 2 faster than Firewire???

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, Aug 20, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just read that USB 2 can handle 480Mb/sec whereas firewire can only do 400Mb/sec. Is this true???

I am asking because I have one of those DVD burners that uses either Firewire or USB 2 and I figured I'd get better/faster performance by adding a firewire card instead of using the USB.

Is there any reason (because the speed doesn't seem to be an issue now) why I would use the firewire port over the USB 2 port? Or is this a non-issue?

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I agree, speed-wise they are the same in real-life applications.

One advantage I see for Firewire is that Windows 2000+ and Mac OS have drivers built-in, nothing needs to be installed.

On a colleagues laptop, the drivers for the external USB2.0 card caused some weird behavior which we haven't been able to get rid of yet (not recognizing the card after reboot, or sometimes even causing the BSOD at startup).

-Christian

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

The upper theoretical limits of USB2.0/Firewire won't matter to you, as chances are your hard drive can't even burst out data (let alone maintain a constant stream) at anywhere near those rates. (Unless you're using a SCSI Ultra Wide 320 drive or something similar...)

Most ATA100 7200 RPM drives hover around 60-80 MB/s.

5. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Don't forget that Apple has for some time had Firewire 800, which is basically 2 times faster than USB 2.0.

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I don't know about USB2.0, but with Firewire and Firewire800, the upper thoughput ranges are of circumstance when using multiple devices on the same Fiewire port. I believe it would come in to play if you had an external FW DVD burner and an external FW hard drive. Plug in an iPod and you just cut down the throughput again...

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That's why I've always been iffy on those USB Hubs.

8. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Well that's only because the ipod does not currently support firewire 800, just like many fax machines, printers, scanners, etc. don't support usb 2.0 either. both the computer and the peripheral device must support the method of transfer. just like the apple airport card will limit the airport extreme hub.