Is upconversion DVD player a waste if I have a 480p projector?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric_Nathan, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Eric_Nathan

Eric_Nathan Agent

Will an upconversion DVD player improve the picture quality at all if my projector is only 480p?

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

If your projector will only display a 480p picture and no higher, then any signal that is sent to it will be up/downconverted to 480p, the projector's "native" resolution. That is, a 480i signal will be upconverted to 480p and 720p, 768p and 1080i signals will be down converted to 480p. Your best bet would be to get a really good progressive scan player to take advantage of your projector's "native" resolution.[​IMG]

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    If your display is only capable of 480i/p it would most likely be impossible to feed it 720p/1080i video anyway. With few exceptions (Zenith/LG, Momitsu) upconverting players output 720p/1080i video via DVI/HDMI digital connections *only*. Your projector probably doesn't have either of these inputs. In addition it's doubtful that it could handle either scan rate even if you purchased a player that upconverts over component, so it's really a moot point.

Chuck's correct - a player that produces quality 480p component output is your best choice.

4. Eric_Nathan

Eric_Nathan Agent

Maybe I should clarify. I haven't purchased my projector yet. I want to find a projector/dvd player that are compatible and will give me the upconversion. I will likely end up with a 4805 or Optoma h30/h31. Can those pjs handle the upconversion?

5. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    I don't know Eric. You'll have to do some research to find out. I'd be very surprised, however, if a native 480p projector has DVI/HDMI and/or could handle 720p/1080i at all.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The only thing about some of the upscaling players is that they use the Faroudja chip for De-interlacing which might provide a better picture on 480i material. With the price of some of these upscaling players, it's cheaper than the higher end players and provide an equal or above picture quality.

7. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the current round of low-end DLP projectors (with max resolution of 480) can handle 720p/1080i just fine, they simply bring it down to 480p. Quite a lot of feedback about how good this looks on a 4805, H31 and other PJs exists over on the Displays board.

8. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Well with that question answered the next thing to consider is how all of those conversion steps will affect the quality of the video. I can't imagine that it would be a positive thing and think that you'd probably be better off feeding a 480p projector a native rez 480p signal. Generally speaking the simplest path with the fewest conversions is the best one.

9. dpippel

Supporter

Doug

The deinterlacer doesn't come into play on 480i output - it's interlaced. [​IMG]

10. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I use the x1 which is native 480p, but accepts hdtv signals and downconverts them. I use a liteon 2001 which I have set to output 1080i.

Even though on paper it should looks best being fed a 480p signal, I noticed a significant improvement by using the 1080i signal. I guess that that particular dvd player puts out its best most artifact free image when upconverting.

It also had a better image then any of my other progressive or non progressive dvd players. My advice would be to try one out and see with your own eyes.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

"On paper" almost any DVD player will look best on the X1 when the DVD player is running 480i through the S-video break-out cable, not 480p unless it's a really fantastic DVD player.

Some would suggest that an upconversion DVD player is a waste regardless of the resolution of your projector.... [​IMG]

12. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Well like I said, the results also showed a decent improvement over the interlaced output. I dont think there really is any benefit to scaling the image to hdtv resolution, especially if its going to be downconverted anyway, I think it just happens that the upscaling dvd players do a fantastic job of deinterlacing the image, and the manufacture put the most effort into the hdtv output. I dont think there is anything magic about them, but they seem to put out an image quality such that it competes with more expensive progressive units.