What's new

Is upcoming Rapid Fire DVD OAR? (1 Viewer)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Matt, I'll be waiting -- and also about the second stumble if possible?

-Dmitry

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I finally got mine yesterday and watched it last night. Man, Fox did a great job with this DVD! The featurette and profile overlapped some, but it's more than I've ever seen on this movie and I totally appreciate the effort. I never have seen this in widescreen ( I hear the LD was even PS)and the transfer was much better than I expected. Another thing that really suprised me was the sound of the 4.0 Dolby Digital. I wasn't expecting much, but the dialogue was clear and the sound had great fidelity. 5.1 wouldn't have been a whole lot better, so I can't complain.

Now, the only thing that was annoying was the layer change. I can't believe that one of my favorite movies is the first DVD to lock up my player! I have a Toshiba 2109 that has never had any problems whatsover with anything, and it froze at the layer change - I couldn't believe it! I don't know if an exchange will help us. I think it's a mastering issue. Honestly, I don't see them remastering this title so I'm willing to live with it. It's much better than multiple sidebreaks for an LD or watching crappy VHS. I hesitate to report this to FOX as a consumer, as I don't want to appear ungrateful. However, I may report it on their retailer hotline so they have a heads up if anyone else starts complaining. So - No, dammit - you aren't alone, Dmitry. I guess it just depends on your player. I guess it's time for me to upgrade; my wife will love that! LOL..

Matt

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
OK, Matt, thanks for letting me know. I agree that we're unlikely to get remastering. It's the second time this thing happened to me with a FOX DVD -- the other one being Point Break. That one froze on both my Pioneer and my Sony and I eventually returned it, at least this one plays on one of them. This one is minor enough for me to still enjoy the movie (Point Break I'd have to skip the whole chapter to get it to play again, here it's a few seconds). Let's enjoy what we have!

Dmitry

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Dmitry, I forgot to mention the fact that I only had the one hesitation, and not the second.

I agree with what you said - enjoy the fact that we got it at all! I have (watched it again today!)

Here's hoping WB puts out all the Kung Fu TV movies and episodes...

Matt

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Matt, maybe I'll give it a shot and try to exchange once to see if I get two hesitations on the new copy as well.

Dmitry

Mark Kreisberg

Auditioning
If the layer change was around 58 minutes my Tos 3109 froze also. How disappointing to wait so long for this movie only to have this occur.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Yes, Mark, the layer change is at 57:58. So, Toshiba has that problem as well -- but my newer Sony doesn't. One more reason to upgrade :)

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

The Laserdisc for "Rapid Fire" was P&S I'm using my old Laserdisc copy as a mirror in my bedroom now. The DVD looks great! The Featurette did overlap a bit but I don't imagine there was much by way of archive material available. I'm just grateful to have it in Widescreen. Interesting comments about "Broken Arrow" too. I didn't realize that Brandon Lee was up for the Christian Slater Part and that it was his idea for John Woo to Direct. Interesting! I have a DTS Laserdisc version of "Broken Arrow" btw. It is Amazing! Still stands out as one of my favorite action films.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I need a favor guys...

If you guys will make a note in your posts of your DVD player make and model number, that will help me when I call FOX Retailer Support this week to report the problem. If there is enough reports, they may repress it. Also, if you have a player that DOES work with it or do an exchange and it works or doesn't, that would be helpful. I'll take your info until Thursday and call on Friday. I appreciate your help and hope it works!

I think we got this title due to Mr. Peter Staddon. This is the only Fox title I've been pushing for and have mentioned on every chat I could, not to mention making several posts in the Studio Feedback section every so often. I've seen others do the same, and I know that some of us mentioned the fact it would be the 10th Anniversary this year and that there should be some EPK sort of stuff laying around. Heck, we even got the trailers to it and several other great movies.Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think Peter had something to do with it and I sure do appreciate the effort.

Ed - you confirmed what I had thought about the LD. I know this is the first time that I had personally seen it in widescreen. By the way, I would LOVE to see Fox rerelease Broken Arrow, ala Predator or Courage Under Fire, with Anamorphic and DTS. Right now, however, I'll take Rapid Fire and be extremely thankful ( and hold out a small hope for a repressing).

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I am planning to exchange mine, but I don't think I'll have a new copy by Thursday. Just to reiterate: Pioneer DV-414 freezes, Sony DVP-N700P breezes (sorry, couldn't resit). I'll let you know about the replacement copy when it arrives anyway.

--Dmitry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks