Is upcoming Rapid Fire DVD OAR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dmitry, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I noticed that Rapid Fire (with Brandon Lee) is slated for release on May 21. Seeing how it's MSRP is $14.95 I fear it may be another Fox "Special Edition" release. (The release of Silent Trigger had a P&S transfer listed as a special feature). Does anyone know for sure?

2. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

This is from Amazon.com:

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I wish -- Amazon's been wrong more than once before and I wouldn't trust it now. I've seen the WS 16x9 info on some other retail site but I'd like to see an announcement or hear from someone who has seen a preview or a pre-release disc. Call me paranoid [​IMG]

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I spent several hours looking for that info last night, and what I found was 3 sites stating Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85, which is correct) and one site stating Full Screen. I also emailed FOX Home Video and got a response saying, basically, "try our search feature". That was SO helpful..
    I, too , am hesitant about what the real truth is. What's kinda scary is that Rapid Fire was one of the first DIVX titles and it was in Pan and Scan, and so was the Laserdisc (from what I hear). This hopefully isn't a rehash. The extra features are new, so I hold out great hope.
    As a retailer, my store has a special FOX phone number to call for special help. I think this qualifies [​IMG] I'll call when I go back to work tomorrow and post if I find anything.
    Matt
    PS - I looked through 4 pages of posts, Dmitry, and didn't see this thread. Sorry I missed another fan's enthusiasm : )
    Maybe one day we'll get Kung Fu: The Movie!!

5. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

One other thought- when Fox rereleased The Siege and Predator in their new incarnations it was at a reduced MSRP, under $20. Maybe ....

Matt

6. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

7. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

There's a Rapid Fire DVD coming?
    AWESOME!
    I am there if it's OAR.
    No Sale otherwise...
    Mark

8. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Actually I think this movie has plenty of fans. It was just a fluke that everyone missed this thread they way we did.

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

The more -- the merrier, I'll be the last to complain if there turns out to be a huge following [​IMG]

10. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

A Fox rep called me at work today..very nice younger girl who was very concerned. She said that she couldn't get through to my email at work and wanted to make sure that I got my answer ASAP. That's service and that's typical FOX retailer relations... VERY GOOD. Anyway, it's widescreen, 1.85:1, as she read it off the release sheet !!!!!!!! No mention of anamorphic, but I can't remember the last FOX widescreen title that was NOT anamorphic. I'm buying for sure, now.

And I love Fox!!!!

Matt

11. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

ttt

12. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

Thanks for the mail, Matt.
    Great news indeed!
    Such a frickin shame about Brandon. He would have been huge... [​IMG]
    Mark

13. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Yeah, Mark. It sucks about Brandon Lee. What alot of people don't know is that he had a 3 picture deal with Fox. Rapid Fire was number one and Broken Arrow was number two! (Christian Slater's role). Brandon Lee was one of the people pushing for John Woo to direct it.

Another thing that sucks is that we all didn't get an Alex Proyas commentary and 1 hour making of The Crow because Mirimax didn't want to piss off Jeff Most. But that's another story....

Matt

14. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Have any of you guys picked this up yet? Mine is on back order [​IMG]
    Share!
    Matt

15. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Mine's not coming till next week either [​IMG]

16. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I finally was able to watch my DVD. On my Pioneer DV-414 it freezes at the layer change, while Sony DVP-700P doesn't even trigger a pause there (layer change is at 57:58). Both players stumble for a split second a little later (~1:07:08). Does anybody else experience anything like that? I'm just trying to decide whether it makes sense to try and exchange my copy.
    Apart from that, both the picture and the sound are fairly good -- especially for the price [​IMG]

17. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

No- I'm still hating you for getting yours first [​IMG]
    I'll let you know when I get mine...
    Matt

18. Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang Stunt Coordinator

so how about a review on the sound and picture let alone confirm if its animorphic? (asked in a sincere tone followed by please...)

Anyone have an opinion about Rapid Fire having many scenes stolen from older jackie chan movies, such as driving the motorcycle through the glass, or using a clothes hanger bar in a fight. Is this considered hommage to HK Jackie Chan films that Brandon was watching, or is this " these will appear original since most americans havent seen older jackie chan films"

This is Brandons best work, and best fight choreography. His trapping exchange with James Hong towards the end rivals Bruce's and looks great, rarely filmed this well if at all.

19. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Yes, it is anamorphic (I thought it was confirmed before, so I didn't mention it). As for review -- I'm not good with reviews, but as I said (IMHO) both picture and sound are pretty good. And with concern to "Jackie Chan homage" -- using different objects in the fight is typical for a lot of HK movies, not just Jackie Chan (although I don't know whether it was him who started it or not) and you can see motorcycles driving through the glass in "Bruce Lee's Game of Death" [​IMG] I definitely agree about this being his best work and best fight choreography.

20. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

The trapping sequence was good, but you could tell Brandon was holding back. He was so fast he could stick the Pak Sao's for dramatic effect and STILL do it at blinding speed! And you are right, Lucas - it's rarely filmed well..

Brandon Lee was a huge Jackie Chan admirer, stating so in many interviews in the early 90's/late 80's. Back when your average action fan was like "Jackie who?" !!! He even had all of Jackie's movies on tape and put together a special video for himself with scenes from his favorite HK movies and HK directors (see about John Woo above). That's a fan before it got popular! He even stated in an interview, quite proudly, that the laundry room sequence was an homage to Police Story.

What's not really ever talked about is how awesome Brandon's best friend Jeff Imada is. From "Big Trouble in Little China" to "Blade", this guy has been in, and choreographed everything. Not better than Brandon, but an awesome choreographer and martial artist in his own right.

BTW - Dmitry, I'll let you know about the layer change!

Matt