Is ubid trusthworthy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Kim, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I've been reading alot of negative press on ubid and speakers, in particular the Michaura M55's. Go through some of these threads recently and you'll see what a mess ubid has made of things, just with Michaura speakers. I've read a lot of negative things about ubid over the years but never some much at once in a concentrated period of time.
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/91380.html
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/92389.html
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/91664.html
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/91706.html
    So what I want to know has ubid screwed up other purchases, particularly speakers? Let the facts come out please.

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I've ordered 2 pairs in the last two weeks. All speakers arrived intact, correct, and working. No problems here. I have a 3rd pair that I'm waiting for them to ship. I'll see what happens.

Seth

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Ted.. NO speaker purchases on this end, but I have bought many items from them and I've been fortunate to not have experienced any problems with the exception of a large screen computer monitor from Sony. After 4 tries of receiving damaged product, I gave up and received a refund without any problem.

I am sure there are horror stories as always when items are shipped. My experience also is that 2nd day, next day shipping is cost effective and creates a peace of mind due to reduced handling of the product.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Center channel purchase went off without a hitch.

Looks like I'm 1 for 1.

Would try it again if I had to.

5. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

Those links do not work.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've had good experiences with uBid. I've only used them 3 or so times but always with good results.

7. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i ordered 2 pair of michaura m55s a while back and 3 of the 4 speakers had a bad tweeter. ubid sent me an email UPS label so i didnt even have to pay shipping back to them. pretty good service i suppose, even though it took many emails to get it straightened out.

8. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I fixed those links.

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've ordered quite a bit from ubid.com. I'd say about 10% of what I've ordered has come damaged due to inadequate packing. I've never really been too upset because they've always issued me a refund(including s&h) and paid the return shipping.

I was really ticked recently because I won some Klipsch KLF-30's for $800 shipped and I couldn't wait to get them hooked up. Unfortunately the cabinets were pretty beat up and one of the magnets from the horns were rolling inside the cabinet. It was obvious this was due to inadequate packing. I emailed them and about 2 minutes later I got an email saying UPS would be by tomorrow to pick the speakers up.

So while I've had some problems, ubid.com has always fixed whatever went wrong.

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've only had one experience with Ubid and they were great. Got my package within a couple of days, nicely double boxed. I have heard that it is best to buy what they personally store in their warehouse. It's good to hear that they're so responsive when a customer has a complaint. The only problem I have with them is their, in my opinion, excessive shipping charges.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

yes ubid is reliable, but they rip u off on shipping (about $10 + $1/lb). they also take their time to ship, much like computergeeks.com.
    PS Phil Hamm, any relation to Mia Hamm? [​IMG]

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Nope, but that doesn't stop my sisters from getting jerseys. [​IMG]

14. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

15. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

i also bought speakers from them..about 1yr ago
    the bohlender ribbons took 3-5days. they clearly state the turnaround time (processing time, etc) on their site so it is to be expected.

16. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

For a long time, Ubid.com said they were working to make their shipping process go smoother. They used to use Fedex but now it's UPS. After the change, I noticed ship times go from around 1-2 weeks to around 3-5 days from auction close. Pretty good since the change, only thing now is my boxes seem to be a little more beaten up than with Fedex.

17. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The key with UPS is to have a box so big and imposing that even a moron would know to use a handtruck.

18. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

19. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

The thing about FedEx and UPS is that its all about
    speed. Just like in that movie Castaway. One day I
    stayed home expecting a package. The FedEx guy came
    and knocked on the door, got no responce and drove
    away. The problem was that he knocked on the door to
    my driveway shed. And not on the door with the security
    door. Hmmmm regular door and security door....Which
    one is to the house.....Duh! I was not to happy and I let
    FedEx know. I felt like chasing the truck down but why
    bother. All this happened while I was in the back of the
    house. If He had knocked on the correct door the dog
    would had let me know he was there.
    P.S. Lesson learned, if you stay at home and wait for a
    package. Camp out by the door. You only have a few
    seconds befor they drive off.
    P.P.S. The UPS diver in my neighborhood is pretty good.
    And she's is not hard on the eyes at all[​IMG]

20. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

1.) I bought my M55s thru Ubid. One speaker came with a small ding at the bottom. Since the model was liquidated, I could not replace them. It's a sh*tkicker speaker for the desktop, so I don't really care for $100 (most of the money went for shipping! [​IMG])
    2.) I bought a refurb Denon 5800 for $2k on Ubid. The digital lock gave out and now must go to Denon for a fix. I'VE BEEN TOLD BY AUDIO REPAIRERS THAT REFURB ELECTRONICS FROM UBID ARE NOTORIOUS FOR BEING DEFECTIVE and WEIRDLY RIGGED differently from the Manufacturer!! They been questioned as to where they get their refurb goods (obviously not from the factory). BEWARE!
    I've learned my leson the hard way. Thank God it happened before the 90 day warranty expired!
    3.) I bought new stuff from Ubid with no problems.
    4.) I bought stuff where they paid for shipping back when I had issues with the product.
    5.) Many Ubid partners are from E. Europe. Many buyers have gotten ripped off as customers wired the sellers the money! Doh!
    6.) Ubid will RIP YOU OFF on the shipping. THEY MAKE EXTRA PROFIT THIS WAY--the bast*rds!
    Overall, Ubid can be trusted for new stuff, BUT STAY AWAY from the refurbs. Again: STAY AWAY FROM THE REFURBS!! It's not worth the hassle to save a few bucks in the long run.