What's new

Is Twilight Time Making A Comeback? (1 Viewer)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I came a little late to the TT party so I had to cough up about $60 for the Egyptian but I bought all the titles I really wanted at release such as Exodus, Alexander the Great, Solomon and Sheba, etc (mostly the historical epics). I waited for sales on others that were true blind buys like the Virgin Soldiers (which I'm glad I did, it was a stinker). I'm hoping that TT continues on with more historical epics as they did good service to those that are into those types of films.

I also picked up Blue Lagoon and Summer Lovers. I remember watching those back in the '80s after my parents went to bed on HBO or one of the other cable channels that would show them uncut... So it was a bit of a nostalgia thing.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I for one bought The Blue Lagoon because it was a memory from my growing up. Remember to lower your nose when it rains, wouldn’t want you to drown.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't trying to denigrate other people's choices. Quite the contrary. The person I was replying to was referring to the two announced releases from the new TT as being drek. My point was that some of what the original TT released could also be considered drek by someone else. Not everything the original TT released was Gold Standard.

The reason you bought The Blue Lagoon might be the same reason someone else buys The Man from Hong Kong or Venom.

I'm not overly interested in the two newly-announced titles, but I don't call them "drek", because I haven't seen them. If I dismiss them, it's because they aren't my cup of tea. There are a number of other TT titles that weren't my cup of tea, many of which were among their fastest sellers and most popular. And I'm sure that a number of the ones I eagerly bought were ones that others would think were terrible.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Millennial here - I'd really love it if people would stop blaming my generation for literally everything under the sun changing as the years go on. You'd be surprised just how many folks in my age bracket like/love classic movies or are just starting to wade their way into the field. Blanket stereotypes like that and general gatekeeping don't help the perception of classics.
Well “please” and “thank you” go a long way in addition to writing in cursive. Just sayin.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
anyone for "Esther And The King", "Sodom And Gomorrah", "Story Of Ruth" box set ??
H0472-L78705655.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so (post Nick Redman) Screen Archives Entertainment has been releasing some titles under the new banner, so it's exclusive to the site, which is exactly how it started out.

so has anyone gotten any of the new releases as of yet?

two more were recently announced,

SEVEN DEATHS IN THE CAT'S EYES (AKA CORRINGA or LA MORTE NEGLI OCCHI DEL GATTO / 1973)
MESSALINA (AKA MESSALINA VENERE IMPERATRICE / 1960)

so for the guys in the thread Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray and those of us discussing missing peplum films in the Film Detective - Hercules and the Captive women (1961) thread, nice to see a little something else being released on this side of the pond.

I linked the two titles so you can read what the specs on the releases are.

hope this helps those interested. :D

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I picked up Venom from the last batch. Bare bones but a big improvement on my Sinister cinema dvd-r. Not a bad spider/mad doctor film. I'm in for the Margheriti giallo in this new batch. Not sure on Messalina.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The original Twilight Time was so-o-o close to completing the United Artists period of Woody Allen.

“Sleeper” from the new TT might make for a nice catch.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
two more were recently announced,

SEVEN DEATHS IN THE CAT'S EYES (AKA CORRINGA or LA MORTE NEGLI OCCHI DEL GATTO / 1973)
MESSALINA (AKA MESSALINA VENERE IMPERATRICE / 1960)

so for the guys in the thread Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray and those of us discussing missing peplum films in the Film Detective - Hercules and the Captive women (1961) thread, nice to see a little something else being released on this side of the pond.
I have the French blu ray of Messalina which looks quite nice so unless the reviews for the new TT blu are raves, I don't think I'll upgrade. I might double dip on Seven Cats ... maybe.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The original Twilight Time was so-o-o close to completing the United Artists period of Woody Allen.

At the time, Twilight Time was unable to license Sleeper, Annie Hall, Manhattan, and Hannah and Her Sisters from MGM/UA because MGM/UA had their own editions in release.

Based on what titles have been released or announced, it doesn't look like TT 2.0 has a deal with any major studio labels.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

MGM already released this. It looks as good as a new TT release probably would.

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Is it okay to mention here that Sandpiper Pictures is releasing titles that I think were once on the old Twilight Time roster:
"Khartoum"
"Wuthering Heights"
and several Woody Allen movies later this month:
"Broadway Danny Rose"
"The Purple Rose of Cairo"
"Radio Days"
"Another Woman"
"Crimes and Misdemeanors"
"Shadows and Fog"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks