Is tv to close?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chris bruce, Oct 13, 2005.

1. chris bruce

chris bruce Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of getting a 52" wide screen hdtv. I will be sitting about 9 feet from the tv display. That is the max. i can get out of the room. I am worried that this is to close, or do you guys think this is fine. Thanks

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Unless there is something that is specifically bothering you about sitting there, it is fine.

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

It is certainly fine. I sit 10' away from my 80" screen.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The rule of thumb is:

HD program ... 1 to 3 times screen height to seem maximum detail in the picture.

SD program ... 4 to 6 times screen height (more for interlaced sets ... aka a distance where you don't see scan lines.)

Most find the 4-6 times rule just find for things like DVD and other SD programming.

Regards

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

A lot will depend on the tv. I have seen on some tv's when you are too close- the image is poor as compared to when you are sitting at a better viewing distance. I know on my Toshiba 46" DLP there is a distance too be had or the pic looks grainy. Lot is personal preference also. I'd just be sure what you get...if its not good too you- you are able to return for maybe a smaller tv.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Since most of us don't have either our monitors or couches mounted on rails, it isn't really practical to change the distance based on the type of programming. So what's the recommendation for a roomful of fixed furniture? Split the difference?

Also, for those of us who never paid attention in math class, how can we translate diagonal measurements for either a 4:3 or 16:9 inch set into vertical hieght?

Thanks,

Joe

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

triangles. It all has to do with triangles.

Narrow Screen
    3 high
    4 wide
    5 diagonal

height=.6*diagonal
    wide screen
    9 high
    16 wide
    18.3 diagonal

height=.49*diagonal

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The HD rule is applied where you want to see the maximum resolution the image has to offer. There is nothing stopping you from sitting further back ... it just means that the 2000 lines of resolution you were seeing drops to 1500 ... 1000 ... the further back you go. If you already plan to sit beyond a certain distance, then it might be better to save your pennies and get a set with less resolution since you won't be seeing it anyway.

The SD rule is applied where you keep backing up from the interlaced TV set until the point where you do not see the scan line structure. Usually this is in the 4 to 6 screen heights range. This is also the distance where you see the maximum amount of detail that a SD image has to offer. YOu can sit closer, but you will not see anymore detail out of the image.

For me ... I am 12 back from a 102" diagonal screen. (102*.49 = 50 inches. ... 50 x 3 = 150 inches ... 150/12 = 12.5 feet) So I am within the 1 to 3 distance.

I'm not seeing anymore detail from the DVD, but the experience certainly is more enveloping.

Regards

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

In my case there is - the wall of my condo. [​IMG]

Thanks for the further elucidation. And for the numbers, Jeremy. (Sue me. When I studied Euclidian Geometry I actually studied Euclid, and he didn't use numbers. When he said "The square on the hypoteneuse" instead of "the square of" it was because he expected you to draw the squares. [​IMG])

Joe

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Viewing distance really does vary based also on the display. Displays with much more cohesive pictures, i.e. CRTs driven properly and LCOS with very little visible pixel structure will support much closer viewing ratios than DLP or LCD (that aren't using any smoothing/smearing lens effects to combat pixel visibility). So "HDTV" might be a 720p LCD, which probably won't support closer than about 2x screen widths until SDE starts to become visible, but a CRT would support nearly twice as close viewing, maybe up to 1x screen widths before scanlines and source start to become bigger limitations. So be careful when it comes to viewing distances, because it will vary by display, and by viewer preference. I for instance, will sit a lot farther away from sets than a lot of people. The distances people sit to normal SD TVs is almost bizarre to me because I can be pretty picky. Where people are on the sofa maybe 8-10 feet away, all I want to do is crawl out the window and stand in the yard to avoid seeing scanlines and pixels etc.... So all of this really depends on a lot of things that recommendations here are difficult to give in any thorough way.