Is TOSlink cable that much of an improvement? Gimme a %

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

HOw good? huh? [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

TOSlink versus what? Versus coax digital cable- I guess the impovement in terms of audio quality would be 0%.

If you mean versus an analog connection (and thus only 2 channel audio)- the improvement would be 1000%.;

-V

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Vince, I'm not sure I can completely go along with the 1000% improvement over analog if we're speaking CD players. There've been a number of cases where I've preferred analog outs on CDPs versus digital/TOSlink (and the ensuing D-to-A by the processor).
    How about we say that a TOSLink cable may provide up to a 1000% improvement, situation dependent? [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Mike

4. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Jeff- It's difficult to give a percentage, but remember that you can ONLY get the 5.1 sound by using the optical or digital connection. So if you're comparing the optical connnection to the coax digital connection, there may be no improvement at all. But if you're comparing optical to the regular two channel RCA connections, it's a night and day difference. As mentioned above, for CD (not DVD), you may find that the RCA connections are better, but for DVD, the digital connections (either optical or coax) are the only way to go.

Enjoy.

Steve K.

5. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

If you're comparing Optical to Coax then it is a draw...

BTW I think Vince was making the 1000% improvement case when comparing a DVD sountrack transfered via digital cable, vs analog 2 channel.

The choice to use 2 channel or digital on a CD player is based solely on if your equipment has good DACs or not. For DTS CDs a digital connection is a must.

Both digital lines will tansfer the latest versions of Dolby or DTS flawlessly.

Here is a comparsion:

OPTICAL (TOSlink):
    PRO: Perfect 100% digital signal transfer. No interference from RF.
    CON: the cable is very delicate. If you bend it, the fiber cable may not be able to transfer the signal correctly, or at all.

DIGITAL COAX:
    PRO: Also perfect digital signal transfer, Durable, the choice of most audiophiles.
    CON: Is subject to RF interference... however any good digital coax cable will be shielded and therefore have no noticeable degrading from rf interference. Any interference on a top brand will hardly even be measureable if it is even there at all.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i wonder about the belief that toslink is more fragile.

fwiw, i have a toslink cable that must be six or seven years old. while i don't throw it around, i can't say i've babied it either. it works fine.

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    We forgot to mention cost. An adequate coax cable will be less expensive (vs. a Toslink optical cable).

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've found optical cables to actually be quite inexpensive (as low as $9 for cheapo). I still prefer and use coaxial dig.

9. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Coax is always my first choice. I only use Toslink if I have to (ie XBOX & Sat PVR.)

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Here, here for Coax. As Greg writes, only if the equipment does not have a coax connection. Xbox and my sat. receiver Sony a-50

11. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

I use toslink to impress my guests only. I've tried both coax and toslink, and I can't hear any difference

12. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

I mean I disconect it to show its light [​IMG]

13. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

coming from a telecommunications background, fiber is not even in the same league as coax. I guess for home theater it wouldn't matter, but when more data needs to be transfered from one end to the other, fiber is going to be the winner.

14. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

I abught a Monster tosling cable for my PS2 for some reason I tend to buy the Longer cables I just looked at it last night and its FUCN LONG man this thing is like 12 feet or somthin.. I think somtimes i go a little overboard heh it s only like 1 foot away oh well allows expansion