What's new

Is TiVo worth it? (1 Viewer)

Jeff*K

Agent
Hi all, I'm really high on my HT Bedroom... was wondering if TiVo is really worth the $$$? I'm not all that big on digital recordings or taping my favorite shows because well... I never miss them. I want the ultimate HT for my bedroom possible but without overspending, will TiVo be a smart and valuable addition to my HT?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A lot of people don't understand the usefullness of Tivo until they start using it. It is such a part of my TV watching now, I find it difficult to watch without it. I always have one of my favorite shows ready to watch whenever I want.

-Robert

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I'm a huge fan of TiVo, or DVR more accurately. It will absoltely change how you watch TV for the better. I love being able to watch my shows whenever I want while fast-forwarding through the commercials. And it's fun to see something you might be interested in on the schedule and let your DVR save it for you so you can watch it later. I sound like such an ad for it but I'm just really a big fan...and apparently a DVR dork

Another big TiVo fan here. TiVo's slick user interface and it's ability to record shows is worth it's weight in gold imo. Add in the ability to connect to your home network so that you can transfer shows from your TiVo to your computer/laptop (where you can the burn them to a dvd or video cd) and being able to transfer mp3's and images from your computer(s) to your home theater system through TiVo, and schedule recordings online at TiVo.com makes it arguably the best device on the planet :)

Also, the future partnership with NetFlix will allow you to download movies to your TiVo from Netflix.....awesome!!!

I also use a TiVo master card for all my credit card purchases. It has an incredible rewards program. So far I've received a free 140 hour TiVo and a 20GB Apple IPod. Can't say enough about TiVo!!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Here's how things have changed for me since I got two DirecTivos last November:
  • I rarely watch live TV unless it is a sporting event I really want to watch.
  • I never watch commercials.
  • I never miss a show I want to watch.
  • I always have something recorded that I want to watch.
  • I save time and watch less TV than I used to. That's a good thing.
It really does change the way you watch TV. Tivo also gets very high marks from the wife. She loves the user interface and it makes sense to her.

Peace,

DM

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For a bedroom, the only real complaint you will frequently get on TIVO units is the noise. Since it has a Hard Drive and a cooling fan which is always on, some folks just find it annoying to here the unit all the time. It's not real loud, but it is constant and if you like quite at night it can disturb some people to no end. It's the one reason my wife still uses a VCR in the BR and why I hesistate to really push her to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks