is THX Dead?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by zcar280z, Aug 20, 2006.

1. zcar280z

zcar280z Auditioning

Hi, Guys im a nobby to HTF , and upgrading my processor from yamaha DPS-1, to ether B&k Reference 50,or Sunfire Theader Grand IV, i thought THX was the premier format, is THX dying? Thanks ,[​IMG] Skip

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum Skip.

THX can be a bit confusing, as it is not really a format but a set of guidelines (standards) that must be met by (originally) theaters and (now also) home theater components. These standards are set by Lucasfllm and theaters and manufactures must apply for THX certification (and pay a fee to Lucasfilm).

There are many, many excellent home theater components that do not display the THX logo—and certification by itself does not guarantee that you have purchased the best possible components.

You are guaranteed however that if all components have THX certification, that those standards are met. This can be taken to mean that you will get very fine audio reproduction, but not necessarily the best or at the best price point.

3. zcar280z

zcar280z Auditioning

Thanks Lew for responding, so i believe your saying money is still the root of evil, thanks Skip

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Skip. Welcome to HTF!

THX is not as important as it used to be. But you must give it some respect. There are no other standards for movie theaters or home equipment. Lucas set the minimum standards that gave everyone the 'line in the sand' to meet.

Yes, "money" is behind it - but THX certification is how the equipment manufacturers try to make their 'black box' stand out from the wall of receivers. If you dont know much about electronics or how to read the specs or magazines, THX is not a bad thing to look for.

As far as your equipment goes, I've heard more positive reviews of the Sunfire Theater Grand than the B&K. This does NOT mean the Sunfire is better, just that it has gotten more press/reviews.

Head over to the Receivers fourm and ask what people think of the two units. This level of electronics might be a bit much for the "Basics" fourm.

And enjoy your stay! [​IMG]

5. zcar280z

zcar280z Auditioning

Thanks Bob for the info,i will do just that,this is a great site,thanks Skip

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

THX is not a format, and as mentioned, it's not really a big deal at all. THX has kind of gone off the deep end, I don't even pay attention to what they say anymore.

7. zcar280z

zcar280z Auditioning

Thanks Chris, i thought it was well written,and very informative,thanks again for all the time it took to put it together

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys

I think that THX is a generally a good thing. They have high standards, and I have been involved in meetings where pieces of gear have had to be redesigned (despite glowing reviews) in order to meet THX specs.

That being said, not having a THX certification is not necessarily a bad thing, but having it is an assurance of a certain standard / level of quality.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

For audio, THX maybe. For video, THX is absolutely worthless.