Is this Xbox VGA guy reliable/trustworthy?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul_Geld, Jul 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Paul_Geld

Paul_Geld Auditioning

Someone told me about this site: http://www.xboxvga.com/

The guy's name is Ken Gasper, and he sells homemade component to VGA boxes. I have one from Hong Kong, but it's slightly dark output compared to my Dreamcast VGA output for example, so I'm wondering if his are better.

Is this site trustworthy, and has anyone used his converter? Someone on another message board said great things about it, but I figured this site would be full of video experts so... [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I've seen a lot of good things about that site on many boards I visit. I was thinking about buying one, but the 4 week wait time was too much for me. I ended up getting a Key Digital Systems XBlaster instead. Works great.

3. Paul_Geld

Paul_Geld Auditioning

Rudy, can you compare the XBlaster to another device?

For example, on my Princeton AR27T monitor (XGA 27"), if I have the monitor's brightness at 70, my Dreamcast VGA box shows a black screen as pure black. But my Hong Kong component->VGA box shows a black screen as dark grey at that brightness. I have to turn the brightness down to 60 to get almost pure black, or 50 for pure black. But everything is darker then. 60 is my current compromise setting for everything.

At 60 the display is quite good, colors are great (especially those colorful GameCube games) and everything is very sharp (Halo looks sweet!) BUT I suspect this box isn't the best quality and the output could be more like my Dreamcast VGA box - higher contrast and brighter colors.

I emailed that guy Ken, and if I like his response I may order one of his boxes. I'm not in rush since I have this current one to play with until it arrives. *If* I do get one I'll post a short review on this messageboard.

4. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Unfortunatly, it's been so long since I've had my DC and VGA box that I can't really compare it to the Xblaster. The Xblaster provides a great picture though. I've found I've had to up the brightness a little, but nothing too major. I'll never be able to go back to my tv again.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Paul_Geld

Paul_Geld Auditioning

Thanks for the confirmation, sounds just like what I'm experiencing here when comparing the converter with DC VGA box. I guess my Hong Kong box is OK then.

Hopefully the next XBox will have VGA output as standard. I still can't believe Microsoft, of all companies, wouldn't include that ability. But they were supposedly worried about the image of the XBox as a small PC and not a console. Still, stupid reason.

Just wish I could afford one of those huge plasma screens. But a 27" VGA is very nice too. [​IMG]