What's new

Is this ultimate brand cupric sub better than a shiva? (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,
I was looking through Partsexpress.com for a sub that would match up to the shiva and I think this one should beat it (unfortunately it costs more) it has a giant xmax 19mm one way! What do you guys think would it beat a shiva. The only thing I’m worried about is the metal cone and the rubber surround, I heard with rubber you can get suckback if it’s to flimsy. Here is a link to the sub
http://www.ultimate-sound.com/ProFrame.htm
Ryan
P.S. I can get it for about $160 so it is a bit more than a shiva

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Those are cool if you need audio jewelry.
The cupric might offer slightly better performance over a Shiva, but it most likely wouldn't be a significant difference.
If you want a 12" for extreme use look at the BluePrint 1203. Link Removed
Also understand that it's necessary to handle metal cone drivers very carefully, since it impossible the remove any accidental dents in the cones. If a screwdriver slips during assembly and you'll remember that for a ling time...
[Edited last by ThomasW on October 27, 2001 at 06:52 PM]

Ryan T

Second Unit
personaly I don't care much for the advertiesments on the cone or dust cap. I guess the main questions would be is it worth the extra 50 bucks for the better preformance of the cupric sub (if there is any) or not.
Ryan

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that there is going to be a performance difference that would justify spending the additional money.

Ryan T

Second Unit
So you say definitely go with the shiva over the cupric. Thats what I thought you guys would say and it make sense. The cupric is made for a car and I guess using a car sub for HT is not the best idea. I'm wondering how the shiva would hold up against the Dayton titanic? Are the two subs fairly equal or does one have an advantage over the other?
If this helps any the sub will be used for music more than movies so I would definitely want to go sealed.
Ryan

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't matter want the driver's primary installation intentions are...so a *car* driver can work fine for HT and vice versa(Ask the JD and terry C who've built subs based on the audiomobile mass12).
Ideally, you'd like to be able to build the subs with all the drivers you're considering and then use objective and subjective methods to determine which driver works best. Unfortunately,this really isn't pratical. So you're left with looking for some reliable performance *specs* on the raw drivers. Then you can plug this into some software simulations to get a rough idea on how each driver will perform in your enclosure designs.I don't know anything about the *cupric* other than the website claims...but IF the claims are accurate it's certainly got the shiva beat in several key performance areas(like linear excursion capabilities). It would be best to plug in each driver into some sort of simulation though(there's some decent shareware stuff out there)...and try to see if the edge the cupric might have...is worth the extra cost to you.
TV

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey you can go to parts express forum and get a few recommendations on software to measure your drivers performance.
Hi Tom. I'm either going to get a 2039cs or a Titanic 12". At least from an affordability standpoint. Has anyone compared the Titanic in a 3cu cabinet to the 2039cs? Would they even be in the same league?
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Hi Tom. I'm either going to get a 2039cs or a Titanic 12". At least from an affordability standpoint. Has anyone compared the Titanic in a 3cu cabinet to the 2039cs?>> Would they even be in the same league?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
At this point, with no one useing one of these drivers (as of yet) I would stay with the Shiva, though this driver looks pretty impressive...
I having access (threw a friend business) to order from the nation biggest car audio Wholesale distributor, they may pick up this line and the % off retail for Ultimate drivers in the past from them have run an average of 40 to 45 %. I will be calling them monday and see if they will indeed be picking up this line. They dropped Ultimate last year and I have not seen the latest catalog. They come out quarterly.
Many times even if they are not carrying a line of drivers etc, if pressure from inquiries keep comeing, and this happens alot, they will pick it up. The mark up on drivers is unbelivable.
When the PT's started showing up retail was 200.00, threw them bought and shipped 63.00!
MA's 612 (new run) lower FS-20.7 retail 189.00 threw them 79.00 shipped!
Gives an idea of what this driver, if picked up by them could go for.
My guess would be (around 70.00 to 90.00!!! Probley closer to 80.00 if so it's now a whole new ball game....
I will call and see if there has been some intrest in this driver and if they are either carrying it and or looking into picking them up. Let ya all know as soon as I know!
Geoff

Paul_H

Grip
Yes, retail markup on drivers specifically most car audio is ridiculous. MTX sells their 8000s series 15" for $299 retail dealer is $64. Which is only 10 bucks more than the 10" and 12" cost. Their retail price is separated by $100 though. They do sell an extreme RFL152 (you can guess what that acronym stands for J ) for SPL competition. These cost $300 while I believe they sell for around $800. I would check out blueprint drivers or MCM, but few drivers offer more displacement for the buck like BPD 1803, Stryke 1501 (whenever they actually start production), Tempest, BPD 1503, and Dayton 295-190(Tempest clone). For $160 I would get the Tempest. You would have almost twice the displacement of the Shiva and lower distortion due to less excursion at the same levels.
Paul Hagan
[email protected]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,
To Tom's point, try to ignore the intended market for a woofer and judge them by their specs. While most drivers I've seen marketed to the car market would really suffer in comparison to a Shiva, there are some good ones, foremost among which would be that Mass. Even when a woofer looks impressive, the specs are usually not verified by a third party, like DUMAX.
The Titanic 1200 (inspired by the NHT 1259, I believe) is intended to work well in a 3 ft.^3 sealed cab, where it'd have a Qtc of .7 or so and an anechoic F3 of 29Hz, even lower in-room. Very good for a sealed sub, but it (or any sealed 12", most likely) wouldn't compete with a 20-39 (or a similar ported alignment using Shiva, etc.) in output under 30Hz. Which one is "better" depends on your goals.
quote: They do sell an extreme RFL152 (you can guess what that acronym stands for J ) for SPL competition. [/quote]
laugh.gif
I can hazard a guess. That reminds me of playing DOOM, blowing apart legions of monsters with the "BFG". Anyone remember that?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 29, 2001 at 08:07 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks