is this type of subwoofer better than the other?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tony_h, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Tony_h

Tony_h Auditioning

I'am building my first ht setup for the first time, and i am trying to pick out a sub, i see they have some with the speaker on the side and some with the speaker on the bottom, is one better then the other? it would seem that the one with the speaker on the bottom that would limit the sound from coming out, can you guys enlighten me to these different type's. thanks

2. Sean Mc

Sean Mc Agent

Well, I'm not expert on subs but I know that front firing vs downfiring doesn't make much difference. Some of the bests subs in a normal price range from SVS and HSU are downfiring and I don't think you'd be disappointed by their output.

What models are you looking at? It's easier to give input when you mention models or budget.

3. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Tony

At the frequency range at wich a sub operates, the sound waves are not directional. That is wy you can place a sub almost anywhere in a room. Certain locations will be better than others but that as more to do with the room itself than the sub.

Some of the best sub makers like SVS have both down firing and front firing models. So the answer is no, having a down firing sub will not limit it's output.

4. Tony_h

Tony_h Auditioning

thanks for the help, i was looking at polk psw202,polk psw10, which the only diff i see is a hole in the corner on the psw10, anyone know which one is better?, also Hsu stf-1 ,does it have a volume control on the back to ajust the loudness, i don't want loud boom boom bass, just nice bass that blends with the speakers, also have a roommate iam in the basement and he is on the top floor so don't want to have booming noise to piss him off would not be nice, any help would be appreiated.

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Yes the STF-1 has a volume control and it has cleaner bass than either of the Polks.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

There are some crazy kooks who are convinced that the best sub you can have is one you build yourself into a wall in your house. Crazy huh?[​IMG]

7. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

How big is your room, what's your budget for the sub? I just got an SVS PB10-isd, they are about $430, it will blow away a 10 inch Polk.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Note to self: Move next to Phil and install "4" I.B. subs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

who you callin a kook?[​IMG] [​IMG]

(owner of twin 1804 IB) hehe

10. Jackson L

Jackson L Stunt Coordinator

I have a Polk PSW202 and I couldn't be happier with it. I got it for half price at an after Thanksgiving sale last year. I cannot believe that it's "only" 50 watts. Polk speakers are very efficient so don't be decieved by the lower wattage. My sub does have a volume control along with a crossover. If you don't want to spend $400+ I definetly recommend the PSW-202. I have not, however, heard any of the other models you mentioned so I can't say if one of those would be a better value.

About the downfiring vs. side firing, a downfiring sub probably won't be as loud if placed on carpet. That's about the only difference. I have found that mine sounds best in the front of the room. I used to have it on the side wall and when I moved it to the front the difference was night and day.

11. Tony_h

Tony_h Auditioning

iam looking to spend not more then $250.00 for my sub. blaine iam not interested in how your sub can blow away a polk ,that doesn't help me much.

12. Jackson L

Jackson L Stunt Coordinator

If that's your budget then the PSW-202 is probably your best bet. Obviously, the best thing to do would be to listen to several in your price range then choose.

13. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer