Is this type of connection possible??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Evan M., Feb 18, 2004.

1. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I want to add a front projector to my hometheater in the future. I want to use it strictly for movies ....and maybe a little football [​IMG]. I will have a tube tv in back of a pullup screen for normal cable viewing. Would it be possible to run my Surround set-up for both the tv and the projector? In other words can I watch a movie using my hometheater audio set up using the tv and the projector without changing around wires? Reason I want to do this is because we watch t.v. in surround a lot and I want to have that option still while having the projector for movies. I have a yamaha rx-v2200 in case you are wondering. If it is possible what would I need? Also can I hook my straight cable signal to both the T.V. and the projector? Thank you in advance.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Shouldn’t be hard. Just send the DVD player’s video feed directly to the projector.

No, you can’t send a cable feed to a projector. A projector is only a display device. It has no built-in tuner like a cable box, TV or VCR do. If the cable box has an S-video output, you could send the S-video to a separate projector input, and the composite output to the TV or HT receiver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

Need more info. Is your Yamaha an AVR or just a receiver? Is your DVD, VHS, Laser, Ect. hooked up to your Yamaha or are they hooked up to your TV and you have the audio out from your TV hooked up to your Yamaha? Or do you have each audio out of your equipment hook up to your Yamaha and the each video out hooked up to your TV? Do you have the cable hooked up to a VSH player? The reason it's important is that if you have everything hooked up to the TV and using an audio out from the TV to feed your Yamaha, then the TV might also have to be on in order for you to hear anything if you hook the DVD video directly to the projector as suggested by Wayne.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

WOW.....I didn't know it got that involved [​IMG]. Yes my receiver is an avr. I will try to explain my hookup but it has been awhile since I have done it and will probably get something wrong. I have basic cable (not digital). The cable goes from wall to vcr to t.v.. The dvd player is hooked up via optical to receiver than composite (yeah I know:b ) to t.v..
    So my question is....when I get a front projector what exactly will I need to do or have in order to be able to watch a movie and tv using my surround sound set-up using both the projector and t.v. without having to disconnect things everytime. Am I making sence ebcause after re-reading my posts I think I confused myself [​IMG]. Really I just want to have the option to be able to watch a dvd movie or cable (with my surround sound) on my regular t.v. instead of the projector should the time arise. I don't mind pushing buttons on a remote to change the video source but I do not want to have to plug and unplug things to have to do it.

5. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

What you need is a video switcher (less than $50). The switcher is connected to the video output of your AVR. Then your TV and projector is hooked into it. The selector on the switcher determines whether the video output goes to the TV or projector. As for watching cable, you should be able to watch it through your VCR. Just select VCR on your Yamaha and projector on the switcher.

Try partsexpress com, they have a 5in/2out switcher for $37.00 that will do the job. What you're looking for in a switcher with 2 outputs. Don't be scare by all the jacks, you only need use one video input jack and the two video output jacks.

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

EXCELLENT!! Thanks David, I greatly apreciate your replys [​IMG].