Is this true? Win XP cannot be installed over Win 98..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

The title says it all. I have Win 98 1st edition (complete version), Win 98 SE (on a Hewlett Packard "restore" disk along with tons of useless programs) and Win XP. Originally I installed XP over my restore disk but lost my DVD function. Someone recommended to format and start from scratch. So I pulled out the old Win 98 1st edition disk, loaded it and then did the upgrade with XP. During XP install I got an error message that said "Drive C is corrupted - setup cannot continue". So I went back to Win 98 1st edition, did a scan disk and defragged. That is where Im at. So this morning, a tech geek said that Win XP has a very difficult time loading over Win 98 1st edition (he alluded that you cannot do it). Is this true? Why would that be the case? Anyone heard of this before?

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I had no problem installing WinXP over a Win98 installation.

3. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

When you start from scratch, you don't need to load Windows 98 first. I'm assuming your copy of Windows XP is an upgrade version. If that's the case, follow these steps:

1. Create a startup floppy disk in Windows 98. You can do this in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.
    2. Make sure all your data is backed up, reboot with the startup floppy.
    3. Boot to a command prompt (you don't need to load the CD drivers for this step). Run 'FDISK' at the prompt.
    4. When it asks if you want to enable large disk support, say "Yes."
    5. Delete your primary partition (I think this is option 3). Follow the directions given.
    6. Back at the main FDISK menu, select Create primary partition (option 1). Follow the directions given.
    7. When finished, reboot your PC.
    8. This time boot with CD drivers. At the prompt type "format c:" and follow the instructions. You now have a "clean" HD.
    9. Load the Windows XP CD, type D: (or E: or whatever your CD drive has been assigned to). Type "setup".
    10. Windows XP setup will probably prompt you at some point for your older Windows CD for upgrade confirmation. Just insert the Windows 98 CD when asked, and once XP is happy, proceed with the setup[/list=1]

That should do it. Hopefully this is thorough enough.

4. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

5. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Charles,

Yuppers, any 9x os up to and including ME need to be installed first for a dual boot scenario.

T

P.S. XP will install over 98 without any major issues in most scenarios. This is supported by MS.

Rob,

Is the version of XP an upgrade or full version? This should be stated on the box.

T

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I also had zero issues upgrading both my machines from 98SE and win2K to XP.

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter