What's new

Is this true?!! - (Panasonic BD55 & 35 being replaced in near future?) (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I just read that the Panasonic BD55 & 35 have been discontinued due to the new models at the CES show. Does anyone know if this is true? The BD55 just came out in October! Give me a break!! I hope its just rumor.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Even if it is true, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm still getting updates for my BD30, which was replaced by the 35. I believe there was another update recently for the BD10 as well.

Also, even if it is announced at CES, it doesn't mean it will ship any time soon...

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I don't have the BD55 yet, but was planning on getting one around Feb. 15th. It's gotten great reviews and was the editors pick in Home Theater Magazine for 2008. It just doesn't make any sense to be replacing something that has only available since the end of October.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I think the target timeframe for their release is April but we'll see if that happens. I would expect wide availability sometime around the end of Q2 or early Q3.

They definitely look pretty nice but my hope is that they're release pushes the price of the DB35 down lower as it is a really nice machine that I've been wanting to pick up for some time.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I believe the BD35 and 55 will be somewhat hard to find going forward. Many places are already out and don't plan on getting any more. Panasonic underestimated the demand on these 2 players and only produced so many in anticipation of the new models.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Well, instead of trying to find the BD55 at a reasonable price, I just ordered the Sony S550. Got it for $319.95. I'm sure it will suit my needs just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
princesstoadstool
Recent bookmarks