is this to much current draw for this power strip?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Brock, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Ok I am going to be installing an IB sub in our new home that will consist of 2 BP 1804s. each will be powered by its own Nady XA900 amp found here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/482052/
    so that will provide each sub with around 600 - 700wrms.

now I would like to use this power strip
    http://www.bitsltd.net/smartstrip/specifications.htm
    so I dont have to go into the other room to turn off and on the power amps.

I am certainly no electrical engineer so I am very concerned that these amps running @4ohms in bridged mode would overload that power strip. any help or advice on this would be greatly appriciated!!

Chris

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Unless you already have the 1804 in hand, you'll have to change drivers. According to Kyle 1804's are no longer available.

If you do already own the drivers you really should consider getting a bigger amp. Something with 500+ watts/channel mininium is about right. The Behringer EP1500 would be a good choice

And I think you want something a little more manly for your power strip

3. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

hey thomas, i do already have 2 of the drivers so i am in good shape there. I also think you might have mised what i was saying concerning the amps. I have two nady amps and i will be using 1 amp on each sub. they produce around 600 - 700wrms x 1 @ 4ohms each so each sub will see around 600 - 700wrms. so you do believe that the power strip i am considering would not be able to support that load?
    thanks for the help!!

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Chris, most power strips are rated for 15amps or 1800watts...just make sure its rated for that and you should be fine.
    I would not plug anything else besides the 2 amps into your strip though.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Maybe I missed something, Chris, but the link you provided indicates that the Nady is only rated for 8-ohm bridged operation.

You also might want to check the second review on that page, “This amp...clips easily at low frequencies.” This might not be the amp you want for a sub.

The power strip looks good on paper, but I’ve taken some of these things apart and it’s scary how cheesy the power connections are. Since you’re looking at pro gear, you might look at some Furman power products – conditioners, sequencers, regulators, etc. They use real hard-wired electrical outlets.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

thanks for the input guys!

here is a link the real specs for the amp. I don tknow where they are getting that 900wrms @8 ohms.
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...pec/482052.pdf

as far as its low frequency performance I have been using this on the BP in a large ported box with great success, I would actually say quite the opposite of that review haha.

as for the strip i will probebly go ahead and give it a try!

7. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

hmm, now i am second guessing the amp situation. I have 1 of the Nady amps right now and I was planning to order the second in the coming week. Would it is smarter to just sell the Nady amp I have and then go with a EP2500? It produces 650wrms x 2 @ 4ohms, which is basically the same wattage I will get with two of the Nady amps. What do you guys think?

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If it were up to me, I'd sell the Nady and get the Behringer.

9. Christpher_S

Christpher_S Stunt Coordinator

Thomas,

Do you have a recommended source for the Behringer?

Thanks,
    Chris

10. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

probebly the best price your gonna find is going to be at www.musiciansfriend.com their customer service is very well know as well. full warrenty and everything as well.

11. James W. Johnson

If your going that far you might as well buy a QSC or a Crown...not that they will sound any better but they do have first class Tech support and customer service and you will be supporting an American company.

You can get a QSC 1850HD from Kyle at Acoustic Visions...nobody can do any better than the price he can offer you.

If you just want to make me jealous then get this one,
    http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/rmx/rmx4050.htm

12. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

man i wish i could swing that, but with building the new house and getting all the little things that you have to have to go in it I will already be streching the budget to far with the EP2500 already so I am pretty sure the QSC would be vetoed by the wifie. hahaha

13. James W. Johnson

Seriously man, if $200 can make or break you then you probably should not even own as much as you currently have.

Sell off your HT and pay the bills. Come back when you hit the lotto.

Take it easy captain.

14. James W. Johnson

I think its just plain foolish not to buy the better product for a little more money. I mean think about it, $200 is nothing...really.
    My whole deal with saving money is more rooted to principals its not really wether or not I will eat steak vs Top Ramen for a month.

If you did you homework and came here and said the Behringer cleanly beats the QSC hands down or is as good in every single respect and cost less then I could totally understand.

But no, you have a pile of crap Nady and were about to go for another. [​IMG]

Sell those 1804s to someone who can appreciate them...I those were my drivers and I sold them to you Id sue you for using a Nady on them. Id demand my drivers back and pay you whatever you needed to stay off my website. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry man, I dont mean to pick on you but frankly your last comments sort of pissed me off. Dont take it personal...I wont take whatever you have to say in return personal either. Deal? [​IMG]

15. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

yeah man, i do not take things personal at all. And I really hope I did not come of as sounding cheap. We have ample money to do with as we please, however putting $200 - $300 more each month towards my retirement seems better to me then spending that extra 2 - 3 now. IMO retiring before age 50 "sounds" better then any amp i could buy right now. Also with the homework, I installed my first surround sound system for a friend of the familes at age 12, at age 11 I already had a Pioneer reciever and cd player and a pair of Cerwin Vega towers. I saved for months and months delivering papers for those products. I am as passionate about sound and HT as anyone on this forum. I spend months looking into options and reseaching before I purchase anything I buy for my HT. We actually use some nady products and some Behringer products at my chruch, where I am in charge of the sound system. We have a full worship team with 3 guitars, bass, keyboard drum set and percussion section all running through a 32 channel snake and a Behringer 32 channel mixer. The nady and beheringer products have worked flawlessly for years. I had no reserves in picking the Nady amp and have been nothing but satisfied with its performance. Im sorry if my comments angered you or offended you but I do not see how what i said could be considered offensive to anyone.

16. Christpher_S

Christpher_S Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered a EP1500 and BFD. Hope you don't take it personally, James.

[​IMG]

-Chris

17. James W. Johnson

18. James W. Johnson

My whole point is why fuck around? Buy a QSC and be done with it.

We are not talking night and day prices here, nor designs for that matter , after all Berhinger borrowed off QSC to make the EP series. [​IMG]

19. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Yeah believe me I understand what you are saying. In just about everything I have done I have went in with a "go big or go home" mentality. Unfortunately at this point in time I am just not willing to spend that extra 200 or so. I could have said the same about basically every piece of equipment I own and if I had went that extra mile on all of them I would have potentially spent thousands of extra dollars for what would have been marginal if any more satisfaction over what I currently have.

Last night I spent $500 on blinds, $500 on freaking window blinds!! Last week I spent around 4k on new dinette set and the week before around 6k on a new leather section, leather recliner, oak coffee and end tables all for the family room. Also around 2k for a new couch and loveseat set for the upstairs living room. This weekend I will be dropping around 3.5k on new appliances for the kitchen and for a new washer and dryer. These were all paid in full from our savings.

I am simply saying that for me this particular time in my life is not one where I can be overly indulgent. In a year or so from now I would have no issues at all spending $500 or more for an amp, but I am also not willing to wait until that time when I can get something that do an adequate job for me now.