What's new

Is this to big? (1 Viewer)

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
I like the mitsubishi 73" But is that tv to big for my room. It is 16' x 10.5' I sit about 11' feet back from tv. Right now I have the 65" on delivery for tommorrow. Thanks

chuckg

Supporting Actor
My room is 19x23, and has a lot of doors and such, and I decided that the 73" would be too big for the room. I am completely happy with the 65", so it worked out fine. The screen is so big that from our dining room table, 45 feet away, it looks larger than our 27" TV from 15 feet away.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
ive never had a client wish he would have purchased a smaller display.

FWIW,

gregg

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
If you can see individual pixels from your seating distance, the screen is too big. Sky and faces aren't supposed to have a woven texture. You may be the type of viewer who values a sense of immersion above other image quality characteristics. Personally, I find such image defects distracting and they make it more difficult to suspend disbelief while enjoying a movie. If your seating location is fixed, consider sizing the screen so it will be as large as possible but still produce a smooth image.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If your room is only 10.5ft wide (and I assume that's how you'll place the TV given your 11ft viewing distance), then the foot print of the 73" might end up being too wide depending on what else you need to keep along that same wall (and immediately adjacent areas), eg. front speakers, maybe components rack.

You might be better off just sitting another foot-or-so closer and go w/ 65". That would probably also give your sound system more breathing room to produce better fidelity sound.

For myself, if room size is not a problem, 73" would probably fall roughly in my ideal size range for ~11ft viewing distance. I like the screen-size-to-viewing-distance ratio to be roughly 1:1.9 -- and that ratio should probably take good advantage of 1080p (vs 720p).

_Man_

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
It is widely understood on the professional side of the HDTV industry that all the human perceptual factors research that went into the development of the format resulted in a 30 degree viewing angle for a 1920 x 1080 image. The formula for predicting the right width is: width = .54 x the viewing distance. For a seating distance of 11' that comes in at 5.94' or roughly a 6' wide screen. The formula for determining width of a 16x9 screen from the diagonal is: w = 73 x .87275. That comes out to 63.7" or just over 5'. Therefore, a 73" diagonal screen is still too small to achieve maximum image width and envelopment without the average person detecting pixel definition.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I have a 57" now, and the wife complains, "...we need a new TV, a bigger one". We sit about 13' from the TV, easily a 73" would be great! ..and that is what she keeps pointing to when we are shopping.

Never heard someone asked "is it big enough"... for TV's, always go as big as the wallet will let you ;)

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
I don't know....she sounds to me like the kind of woman who's actually looking for an up-grade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hickskeith007
Recent bookmarks