Is this the worst SE feature?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

For me those editing workshops are easily the most pointless, annoying, and dare-I-say INSULTING (to your cinema going intelligence) feature now being produced. I've only seen the one on the MIB SE, but I know there's one on the Die Hard 5 Star SE. Fo those that have both discs... Is that one more sophisticated, or interesting than the MIB feature?
    I'd rather the space was used on improving picture and or sound.

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The editing feature on the Die Hard SE was pretty cool. I had a good time messing around with it. Now I can't say the same for the ones on the Men In Black: Limited Edition and Scream Trilogy box set.

3. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

4. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

The Thermian track is at least pretty funny and whenever I show it to my friends, it never fails to get a laugh.
    "Raveworld," however, is the single dumbest thing I've ever seen on a DVD.

5. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

You're right... they're both worse than the editing feature.
    Regarding the mistake about them being on the 2nd disc.... oops!
    But I'd still rather the space went on improved resolution for the menus/documentaries for the second disc!

6. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I hate the "follow the white rabbit" type feature making me watch the entire movie over again and having to click on something to see the extra features. I don't mind it when I can also find the extras seperately like New Line did on the Infinifilm 13 Days. Dogma's "Follow Buddy Christ" making me press enter while watching the commentary to see the folks as they recorded the commentary was especially annoying. Is this something that someone would want to see one segment of and not others? They could have very easily had a Yes or No option to get through the entire film.
    Gregory
    [Edited last by Gregory Pauswinski on September 18, 2001 at 10:26 PM]

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Well, easter eggs will always get my vote for the most useless SE feature.
    But this one is fresh on my mind: the comparison of the uncut BASIC INSTINCT to the TV dub is ridiculous. It takes about, oh, one scene to realize that they had different voice actors come in and dub the naughty words. Big whoop.
    - Steve

8. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I agree with gregory, the "Follow the White Rabbit" feature is getting old. I thought it was kinda novel the first time on the matrix, but let it die already.
    i kinda like the editing workshop things in Die Hard and MiB. The sound one on Die Hard was useless, but might be fun for some people.
    I know no one here considers it a feature, but any dvd that lists "Interactive menus" as a feature. What? Are you going to have a menu that isn't? Here's a bunch of selections for you but you can't pick any of them...DER!!!
    ------------------
    Crash
    "I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
    Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

What about "Action Overload" on Buena Vista movies? "Featuring The Hottest Moments From The Movie- Music Video-Style"!

10. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

Let's see.
    Buena Vista's Trailers that won't quit...
    Universal's +65 DB over what you have it set at introduction with little snippets of movies that have been on DVD for years, followed by movies that won't be out for months that excercises your sub woofer worse than the helicopter collison in The Matrix...
    Easter Eggs. I don't enjoy hunting for scenes or features, put them on the menu.
    Sometimes the weaker 'cast lists' are a waste of space, I can read the credits, why bother by putting them in another list?
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I think any special feature is useless, but I'm not making the DVDs, only buying them. [​IMG]
    Even though I find special features as useless as a vibrator repair shop in a nunnery, I don't carry on to the studios about it, because I know the general opinion is they are really cool. I don't wanna help destroy that which so many folks like. Lookin' out for you guys. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Personally, I hate the cast lists, too. Funny thing is that most of 'em these days are ripped straight from the IMDB...and many of them tell you so!
    Raise your hand if you have a DVD player and no internet access...okay, then you just get the movie's credits. Thank you, goodbye! [​IMG]
    These are the same DVD's that advertise "DVD-ROM content" that consists of a damn link and the same dumb screensavers or desktop themes that you can download for free from their normal advertising-the-movie website. Or the same game demo that you can get in any CD-ROM equipped PC game magazine, or from download.com or similar sites.
    Take all that stuff off and give us a blooper reel. Now THAT'S entertainment! Heck, even A Bug's Life had bloopers! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

13. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

quote: But this one is fresh on my mind: the comparison of the uncut BASIC INSTINCT to the TV dub is ridiculous. It takes about, oh, one scene to realize that they had different voice actors come in and dub the naughty words. Big whoop.[/quote]
    I think that one was hysterical and glad they included it, because I live in Norway and have never seen a movie butchered like this before (no cencoring in Norway even on TV [​IMG]) Wished they had included the entire TV - broadcast in fact.
    [Edited last by HenrikTull on September 20, 2001 at 07:31 AM]

14. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

15. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

"Galaxy Quest" was also missing the "mockumentary" that talked about the TV show as if it had actually existed.
    It was made, transmitted on TV and mentioned in pre-publicity for the DVD, but never made its way onto the disc. If disc space was the issue then I would have prefered it to the Thermian track.

16. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

I actually cracked while playing around with the scene editing workshop of "Men In Black". In the scene where they're interviewing Edgar's wife, one camera angle shows Tommy Lee Jones's facial expression while she's telling her story... it just had me on the floor.
    Anybody else notice this?