Is this the sign of a failing receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChuckM, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Lately I have been noticing that I have to crank up the receiver more and more to get the same results. For example 65 on my receiver was so loud that I couldn't even hear my own voice but now I have to turn up to 70-75 to get the same results. I usually kept it around 55. Funny thing though is that DTS tracks seem uneffected. The only thing I have done recently is move the rear speakers.
    Onkyo HT-S650

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chuck,

I’ve never seen any amplifier ”gradually” fail or get “weaker” over time. Usually they just quit working in a sudden and obvious manner.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Well in that case could it be dvd player.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm thinking you changed a setting somewhere, such as midnight mode, that would affect DD, but not DTS, for instance.

5. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I checked that chris as well as all my settings, but anyways I know it's not the receiver because I played some dvds from pc and everything was normal. I'm guessing I must of did something inside the dvd player setup.
    Thanks though,
    Chuck

6. Jared Neumann

Jared Neumann Stunt Coordinator

Did you by mistake change the speaker levels?

7. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Chuck- It may be just your new position for your speakers. Move the speakers back to the original site and see if any difference is noticable. Either way, If your still enjoying the sound from your receiver, forget your current impression and learn to appreciate your new impression.

8. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Could it be possible that somehow the latenight mode got stuck, because on top of the lower volume i've noticed a decrease in dynamic range, which is also not seen on dts tracks. Anyways I unplugged it, according to the manual it takes 2-3 weeks for the internal battery to drain. If that doesn't help I'll just get it serviced.

9. Bhavesh P

Bhavesh P Extra

Maybe you're losing your hearing? [​IMG]

10. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I'll second the Hearing loss[​IMG] No really mabe your just getting so used to the loudness that it just dosent seam as loud. As stupid as that may sound I do that all the time. One day I'll listen to something & it's just screamn, But than another day I think that it's not loud at all even though its at the same previous level.