What's new

Is this the most useless feature of a DVD? (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Let's not be so narrow-minded. Multiple angles, while it be useless on pre-composed movies, is not completely useless. I've seen some great discs of live performances that use the multiple angle feature amazingly.

Audio CDs once had a concept called "index codes", the idea being that you could have quick-access spots within a track. This was supposed to be beneficial for classical music, but CD player makers and record companies started to leave out index code support, and this continued in a downwards spiral to the feature's virtual extinction.

Multiple angles strikes me as a feature likely to go the same way. I don't have anything against it. I just wonder if it has enough "critical mass" to survive.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
may sound stupid, but some people dont even know how to use the menus on DVDs.

i put on a DVD for my mum the other day and she didnt even know how to start it, so i had to press Play for her, and also skip chapters when she resumed.

GregK

Screenwriter
1) Long overdone menus that one has to wait for before the "play" option even becomes available. Ditto for other forced intros and pre-show swill.
2) Pan-n-scan ;)
3) Menus and intros that are LOUDER than the movie itself.
(OK, more of a complaint than a useless feature.)
On the subject of screensavers and such, how about a DVD
that is instructed to go the STOP position after a film is over? (At least for kid oriented DVDs) ...I don't know how many times I've found a disc playing the main menu over and over after one of my family members watched a film... :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks