Is this the end of RADIO SHACK?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todbnla, Feb 17, 2006.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
  2. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Me too. Used to buy their kits as a kid to build strobe lights and other things. Still shop there fairly often and I'd hate to lose them.

3. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    They used to be a good place to buy cheap cables until they discontinued their low-end lines.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'm hoping they don't touch any international stores, as they are one my only sources for relays and other products here in Mexico

5. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I'm wondering if the stores to close will be in areas where they have the heaviest competition from Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

6. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I honestly have always wondered how they made it. I understood their high margin slow moving product lines, but still thought they would eventually bite the dust.

They used the be the place to go to get stuff you just could not get anywhere else. But now, with online sales of hard-to-find items, and the fact that everything else can be had elsewhere for cheaper, I just don't see them making it. If they do change models to large volume sales, they will come to their demise faster than I expected. They will not be able to compete with BestBuy and Walmart.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Aren't they closing 10% or less of their stores (400 to 700 out of 7,000+)? I'd hardly call that the end.

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    In Canada, the Radio Shack stores were run by InterTAN, now owned by Circuit City. Last year, the stores had to stop using the Radio Shack name by court order. They're now called "The Source by Circuit City".

The Radio Shack name has been reclaimed by the original owners and they now have nine stores in Canada. But with them closing 700 stores in the USA, for how long will the new Canadian stores stay open?

Extra tidbit: I still have the manual for the 150-in-1 electronic kit they sold THIRTY TEARS AGO! Man I suddenly feel old! [​IMG]

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If it IS the end, there will be a huge void in the marketplace needing to be filled.

10. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

The disappointing thig is that the sales people are no longer knowledgable about electronics. I remember going years ago and they could explain everything.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Great source for JP1 remote controls. Also unusual batteries and needed electronic goodies like soldiering guns and replacement plugs and stuff. Hope they stay around.

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Yeah, RatShack has always been the place you could run to on a Saturday afternoon for that oddball battery or electronic connector or specific cable that you needed right now - which is something that no website can ever replace. Once upon a time I actually bought audio equipment and the like there, but I soon learned that their high end stuff was way over priced, and their low end stuff sucked. They became the store where people who didn't know any better shopped - or where hobbyists bought parts. I would hate to see them go away, though, despite their serious decline in quality and knowledge. I still have those Saturday projects. (In fact, I need to replace a busted AC adapter later today, which will probably means buying an RS mutli-adapter with the selectable voltage and amperage output and the 15 or 20 different connectors. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I still use and enjoy my 15-1994 that I bought circa 1999. I'd like to replace it with a more up-to-date remote, but its successors have all seemed a step backwards.

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Two words: Home Depot. [​IMG] Years ago I wanted to pre-wire a house I was having built, and went there to get wire rated for in-wall installation. I needed a fair amount since the sub and rears were going to be on the opposite side of the living room from the electronics, and because I was simultaneously wiring the master bedroom for an eventual surround system. The guy added up the per-foot cost of the amount of wire I needed, then said, "You know, we sell this in bulk, too. If you buy the whole 50 foot reel its a lot cheaper than the per foot price for the amount you need." That's what I did and I'm still using wire from the same reel two condos after I sold that place. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

15. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    The problem was Radio Shack started carrying things at prices completely out of whack with the rest of the market. You'd go in wanting an 8 ohm converter, and the thing would cost $9 or something outrageous.

Radio Shack (when I was a kid) did carry the "cool" techie toy items, but the newer radio shack just tries to carry "toys" little radio controlled cars and the like. Not quite the build a circuit set I bought as a kid.

More recently, Radio Shack has been all about selling cell phones.

I think Radio Shack tried to diversify thinking that would save them. When in fact, Radio Shack just needed to get out of selling way-overpriced computer equipment and garbage it didn't need to sell, and focus back in on what made radio shack work: hard to find pieces and bits and batteries and the like that would always be in demand.

16. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Another problem is too many stores too close to each other. I mean within a 4 mile radius I have access to 3 stores. And I am not in the city.
    And like others have mentioned. Their prices are out of whack. Wiring is cheaper at the Home Depot. And other things can be gotten online for a fraction of the price. I needed 25ft of cheap S-video cable. They were around $15 for 12ft. I got the 25ft for $3 plus $6 shipping.
    They should really try to cut prices and close stores that service the same customers.

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Closing 400 to 700 stores out of 7000 hardly seems like the end of the company.

18. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I still have and use my original R/S Mach One series speakers in my H/t today [​IMG] The only thing I have ever done to them besides move them about a hundred times between homes, is to send the woofers to orange county speaker repair to have them re-foamed about two years ago....
    [​IMG]

However, in this day and age of the web I too cannot see how they can stay open in the current market.

19. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I never liked going there because I hated the name, address and telephone questions every time I'd check out. Just ring up the damn purchase, already.

Do they still do that anymore?

20. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I had a friend who won't go there because he swears that everyone that works there smells. No matter the location. lol