What's new

Is this the BEST "Stretch Mode" ? (1 Viewer)

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking to buy a Mits 65" RPTV. I checked out the stretched mode with a standard 4:3 local broadcast. I did not like how it distorted the image.
What manufacturer has the best stretch mode for viewing 4:3 signals on a 16:9 set?
Please give your opinions, I am confused. The salesperson I was dealing with said "They're all bad....this is the best you can get".....naturally, I am somewhat hesitatnt to believe it!
HELP!!
------------------
The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
What kind of stretch looks the least bad is a matter of opinion. All 16:9 sets I know have at least one uniform stretch mode for 4:3 (simply the full or 16:9 mode). I use it only when there are people sitting way off to the side and the fuller picture they see offsets the distorted view the people directly in front see.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'll second the Pioneer "Natural Wide", which uses an algorithm that keeps the middle section close to normal and increases the stretch gradually as the sides are approached.
It really is "natural" and IMO very watchable for normal everyday programming. I thought it was clearly superior to some other brands modes I saw when auditioning sets.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I too think the pioneer natural wide is very watchable. You do lose some at the top and bottom, but it's only occasionally a problem.
------------------
"That audience - 12 to 19 year old pimply faced, mean spirited males - came, watched and went on to whatever god-awful other pursuits" USA Network CEO describing professional wrestling fans

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I really appreciate it! I will check out the Pioneer Elite series and see how it looks.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer has the best 4:3 to 16:9 stretch modes.
Of course, they marketed the "semi-widescreen" 16:10.7 sets for years before 16:9 became the norm. It was the default 4:3 to 16:10.7 stretch mode provided with those sets that gave them the experience they needed to build the best 16:9 stretch modes on the market today.
Joseph

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Is 'burn-in' really such a potential problem for RPTVs that people are forced to distort the picture with these stretch modes?
I keep reading on this forum that a properly calibrated RPTV is not prone to burn-in, and yet I also keep reading about people having to suffer through the stretch modes.
Is there any definitive answer on this yet?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Al,
While a properly calibrated monitor will reduce the risk of burn-in (differential phosphor aging is the more correct term), if all you watch is 4x3, you are going to get burn-in.
Think of it this way- My friend has a Jeep, with a matching rim/tire on the back. If he doesn't rotate it in with the other 4, it doesn't wear. No matter how gently he drives, no matter how straight the alignment is, no matter how good the roads are- the ones actually in use will age faster.
Then again, if all you watch is 4x3, why would you purchase a 16x9 set?
BTW, I also think Pioneer's Natural Wide is the best compromise. I watch "regular" TV that way, and Academy Ratio films in standard 4x3.
Todd

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
David,
The Pioneer Elite sets are GREAT sets and if you watch a LOT of broadcast TV then it is probably the way to go due the Elite's excellent line doubler.
However, do not dismiss Pioneer's standard line of 16:9 sets without a comparison viewing. In my opinion, NTSC sucks anyway and even though NTSC looks better on the Elite sets vs. the standard line, I honestly don't think it looks $2K better.
In virtually all other uses... HD, 480P, etc., the Elite's internal line doubler does not get used. And, now that Panasonic has released an affordable DVD player (RP91) with intelligent aspect control, even non-anamorphic DVD transfers can be viewed in progressive mode on any 16:9 set.
Again, unless you watch LOTS of boradcast TV, my suggestion would be to go with the Pioneer standard line and spend $600 of the $2K you saved to buy the Panasonic RP91. Then spend part of the remaining $1.4K to get an HD tuner and antenna (and/or dish). You won't be watching a lot of broadcast after that! :)
Mark
------------------
Our Home Theater
Our DVD Collection

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
A 4:3 HD ready set that has 16:9 mode should be good for you as well. Since i believe the majority of viewing for a long time to come will be 4:3, Im leaning this way as well

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Don't rush out and commit to a Pioneer Elite set yet. I just attended a Pioneer seminar this evening and learned that they are releasing two new models due this August. Not only do they allow complete aspect ratio control in all modes, they now incorporate the same internal de-interlacer as the current Elite series. The two 16x9 sizes will be 53" and 65" and the MAP is 3499 and 4799, respectively.
------------------
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

W

Will

I also understand there will be new Pioneer Elite
models this fall. The new model 520, 620 and 720
replace the current Elite model 510, 610 and 710.
Will

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks