What's new

Is this sub worth $100? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Best Buy is selling what they term a "Celestion 200 Watt powered subwoofer" which is further described as S-20 for a hundred dollars. I need a powered subwoofer, and I do not have money to burn. Understand that I am not looking for ultra good bass reproduction, &c., I have cheap primary speakers and a cheap amp because my ears are not good enough to make out the nuances, I just want to be able to hear the sound. But by the same token, if it does not fulfill its function of supplying the low-frequency components my bookshelf-model speakers omit, it's no use to me. So: on those grounds, should I buy it? Anybody have any experience? Thank you.

Greg, excuse me if I'm wrong, but it appears as though you are making a reccommendation without having heard the model the OP is referring to (and as such, not being entirely helpful).

I have the Celestion S-20. It's a very decent sub for the price. It's a bit boomy and hollow (which I believe could be easily remedied with some batting), but most importantly, it's very accurate (meaning the bass is in time with the screen and music). It's highly tuneable and has a small footprint.

In all honesty, it's a fantastic sub for the price. I was once against the sub, but after trying it out, I am impressed. It's not a HSU or SVS, but it's a very nice sub and a very nice price.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I am making the recommendation. Why? Looking at all the feedback for the Dayton on this forum (in comparison to a lot of other budget subs) there's nothing in the price range that can touch it (and subwoofers often costing twice as much or more have trouble keeping up).

I honestly don't think a $100 Celestion subwoofer from Best Buy is going to dethrone it ;)

Greg, the sub has been marked down from it's original price of $299 (first to $200, now to $100). Price is often misleading. But the OP didn't ask for a reccommendation, he asked about the S20.

It's not my main room sub (it's in a second room), but it's very nice. It's also highly adjustable (much more so than your average sub) and well built.

I have yet to hear the Dayton, but purely on specs, the Celestion would rival it.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Thank you for your input, gentlemen, esp. Mr. Hoffman. That is what I wanted: some data from someone who has used this model. It appears that I would not be cheated if I purchassed this item; so perhaps I will.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Can't do much when someone's mind is already set on something.

Oh well. Good luck with it Chris :)

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I learned the hard way;what the sticker says means little as far as what you can or should pay. $100 doesn't seem to buy much of anything in todays economy (I pay that much for board wax). For a subwoofer I paid a whole lot more,but I would not pay as much as some do. Moral of the story for me in audio goods is to pay what you can afford,as long as your happy with the demo.

PC

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It's not that my mind is set, just that I have a very limited budget, need a subwoofer, and suspect that this one would fit my need nicely. I am attempting to confirm or deny that suspicion, that is to evaluate this item, not to begin a general discussion on the merits of subwoofers under US$200.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just hate to see people not get the best bang for their buck (no matter how limited that buck may be).

If you purchase it make sure Best Buy will allow you to return it if you decide it's not up to the task ;)

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at the Celestian sub (and several others) at best buy prior to purchasing the Dayton 10". Admittedly I never brought the Celestian home but I was not impressed with it, sounded very boomy and mushy without any tight punch. It also cost closer to $200 when I was shopping. I now own the Dayton and it has literally blown me away. I would recommend it over the celestian without question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks