Is this sub damaged?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Gates, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

I purchased an Atlantic Technology 272 powered sub to go with the rest of my AT 270 set. I bought it used and it was supposed to be in excellent condition.

Anyway, it just arrived today and I set it up and calibrated it. The problem I am noticing is that I seem to be getting quite a bit of distortion with the volume up. At times the cone starts making quite a bit of a rattling noise. Anyone have any suggestions that could fix this or does this sub sound like it is damaged?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Driver and baffle seem to be parting company. Excessively noticeable distortion. Does this sound like the sub you thought you were purchasing? Of course, the unit is defective.

Is the sale final?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But, then, just how loud are you playing the thing? What are you driving it with?

4. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

Well, I live in an apartment complex so I'm not trying to drive the thing to excessive levels. The rattling was most noticeable when I was using the AVIA disc and tried the frequency sweep. When it started getting down to 50hz or so, the rattling seemed to set in.

The Sub is a powered sub so it is being driven by its built-in 225watt amp.