What's new

Is this structurally possible?? re: space cable (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
According to a new article in the New Scientist, Engineers have finally done a proper study, and it turns out that the Space Elevator may not be all that structurally sound after all.

Well, DUH! The article says many of the same things we've been saying here all along.

Check it out. The article says:
Man, we're so on the ball! ;) From now on, if anybody wants technical answers to an engineering problem, I think they should come here first.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Poo rail gun.

DominoDeja

Auditioning
Real Name
Deja Prime
Should work because there isn't gravity in space though you'd have to have thrusters on the object in orbit to control it somewhat...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm still not convinced the cable and/or the connections could be strong enough to hold the total weight of the contraption.

Of course, the upper part is relatively "light", because it has a complementary centrifugal force working on it(increasing in the upward direction, net result becoming zero at the end), but the resultant mass is still heavy, man!

If it breaks, you don't want to be underneath (also see Twins (1988, Ivan Reitman)) - if you have any idea where "underneath" is, exactly, given the initial speed of the once-upper elements!

Cees

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Yes, one of the issues is that the construction would require, at a bare minimum, hundreds of thousands of tonnes of a material which doesn't even exist yet — although, with the sucessful production of carbon nanotubes, the "monocrystalline diamond fibre" that has always been regarded as the only possible building material is a lot closer to reality than it was when first proposed. And, yes, there is some reason to believe that, if the cable broke, the lower part would around the Earth in an easterly direction like the string winding up on a yo-yo. The result (considering that the length of the cable is comparable to the circumference of the Earth) would be like thousands of meteors striking along the equator at once. Larry Niven wrote a novel recently, Rainbow Mars, in which the question of "things that can go wrong with a space elevator" becomes a plot point.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Considering the largest man made structure is less than 3,000 feet tall, I think we have a LONG way to go to reach 75 miles (or whatever the edge of the atmosphere is).

Baby steps!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't this be the world's longest lightning rod? I'd wonder how the Earth's magnetic field would interact with it. Assuming it is metal that is.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And, BTW, if the cable broke, we would also lose the satellite (and anything in it). To compensate for the weight of the cable, the satellite would be in a much higher orbit, lest it be pulled down inevitably by the weight of the cable.
So when that cable breaks, the satellite loses the cable's mass and its pull and it will be launched to outer space. That's one of David's stones added to Christopher's yo-yo.

Cees

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It would probably be better to just have teleporters like in star trek. That way you can easily get the poo railgun to space to fight some aliens and skip that long elevator ride.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Would you believe I am actually drafting a paper on the applications of teleportation to space transportation issues? It turns out that, depending on how the teleportation mechanism works, it may not be very useful at all.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
--sigh-- I love science fiction, but sometimes I wonder if it severely warps people's expectations of science and technology. People do things like include the word "just" in sentences like this, or think we can skip all the difficult middle parts and jump straight to settling Earthlike planets in far-off solar systems.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Did you guys watch the end of the Inaugural parade yesterday? NASA drove the lunar buggy (the new one) up, turned it 180 so the astronauts hooked to the back could wave at the President, and then one of them detached him or herself from the buggy, took an American flag, and walked forward as if to plant the flag on the moon. It was as overt a "hey, Barack, you can put a man on the moon if you feel like it, just sayin', imagine that!" moment as you could get. It was amusing.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If you have telporters like in Star Trek, then what do you need with a poo railgun?

I say, skip the middle man: Poo Teleporters!

Now that's living!

Actually, now that I think about it, my house already has three poo teleportation devices.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I've eaten a few meals that made me wish there was such a thing as a poo teleporter....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks