What's new

Is This State of the Art? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Block

Auditioning
About a month ago I decided to upgrade my 10-year-old 25" RCA set. The picture was fine, although I did notice a darkish vertical band on the left when the scene was dark. But given the resolution of the set it really wasn't noticeable.

So, I explored this and other forums, as well as visited some shops, to see what was recommended in my price range. I discovered I'd be getting a 27-inch, possibly flat screen, and with componenet inputs for my DVD player. With the RCA I had to an RF modulator.

After reading message after message of folks' problems with their set, large and small, I almost decided not to buy anything! Now I realize that either this is just a small percentage of consumers or, more likely, the public at large doesn't have a discerning eye.

Anyway, after trying a few sets, I settled on the latest Panasonic Tau 27" flat screen, which was on sale at CC for $269. Last week it was "on sale" for $369." I'm on my second set. With both, I'm able to get a great looking picture, although some cable channels (analog) don't look so good. DVD picture is light-years ahead of what I had before.

My problem, and the point of this thread, is that on both sets there's a bluish, purple blob in the bottom left-hand corner of the set. It's less pronounced on the newer set I have. It's most noticeable on white backgrounds. After researching, it seems this is typical for Panasonic's and flat screens. There are no speakers within 20 feet of the set.

I realize most posters have larger sets that cost much more than what I'm dealing with, but is this what state-of-the-art is for 2003, a picture that's nearly perfect but not quite? Should I try my luck with yet another set or is this the best it gets. Granted, it's only noticeable about 10% of the time and my wife thinks I'm nuts!

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I do sympathize that you didn't get a product that functions at a level that you're completely satisfied with.

But like you already pointed out, your TV isn't exactly state of the art, either. Even the ones that are arent perfect.

StevenW

Second Unit
For what its worth, I noticed this "blue blob" effect on my parents 27 inch Panasonic set as well the other day. Its not a flat screen, and the "blue blob" appears in the upper right hand corner. They also do not have any speakers at all near their tv. I would say the set is about 2 years old maybe.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
WOW, I have never saw the blob on a panny. I have a sanyo flatview from wal-mart, I love mine, the picture quality is great actually, and lots of connections. Im stumped. bring it back and complain about it and see what your dealer can do....

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
You shouldn't have to put up with a purple blob on your screen, whatever the price. I'd take it back and try another brand.

Jan

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I've got a 27" Panny thats pushing 4 years old now that works beautifully and has a great picture, when it was new it was the best 27" they made and I love the damn thing :) Though I've got the HDTV itch now :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Does the blob show up immediately on transition from dark scenes to a white screen or take a few seconds to appear?

If the latter it's caused by heating and flexing of the shadow mask in the picture tube, and isn't gonna go away.
The shadow mask flexes due to heat generated when displaying white, and misdirects the electron beam so that it doesn't hit the phosphors on the back of the crt surface exactly. Sets with Invar shadow masks (most all Toshibas) and Sonys with their "stretched wire" arrangement don't suffer from this phenomenon.

Reducing your contrast setting may help.

Jonathan Block

Auditioning
Thanks everyone for your replies. I actually exchanged the panny for another one. There's still a faint blob in the same place, but it's very tiny and only noticable on a bright white background, and then not much. Perhaps there something magnetic going on, but the improvement between the two TVs is extremely dramatic.

Needless to say, I'm quite satisfied with my purchase and even more satisfied and surprised with Circuit City, who seem to have adopted a no-questions-asked return policy lately.

Thanks again everyone!
Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks